SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

rash decision: applying gelcoat

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  tappers 
#1 ·
Some time ago members of this group were kind enough to advise me on a rash of hard little blisters that appeared on my topsides.

And the boat wasn''t too good either....

I rubbed them down, but find that some of them have paid a return visit. From reading Tony Staton-Bevan''s book I think they''re hard little nibs that have arisen in the double gelcoat that Westerly used at that time on many boats. I''ve even found some of the little beasts on interior gelcoat.

My intention now is to rub the worst affected areas down to the laminate, dry it out over the winter and renew substantial bits of gelcoat.

Can I apply gelcoat with a roller or a brush? Is gelcoat the right stuff to use? Is my diagnosis and suggested treatment way off beam?

So many questions! Any help would be, as always, much appreciated.

All the best

tappers

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.