Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-09-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Anchor rode question

Hi everyone, I know there are many threads about rode and chain sizing, etc., but I wanted to ask about my specific application. The boat I'm buying only has one anchor (Fortress), so that means I'll be buying a 2nd anchor (probably to be used as my primary). In addition, the existing rode and chain need to be replaced, so I'll need two new sets of each for both anchors.

Below are the basic boat specs, my cruising area info, and my proposed configuration, followed by my specific question.

About the boat:
1984 Sabre 34, LOA: 33' 8", Displacement: 11,700 lbs (factory)

Cruising area:
Chesapeake Bay. Overnights, weekends, longer summer cruises, etc.

Proposed configuration:
Primary anchor - Buy a Rocna 15 (33lbs) for bow roller, and buy 35 feet of chain and 200+ feet of nylon rode.

Secondary anchor - Use existing Fortress FX-16 as back-up in cockpit locker (not sure of location yet), and buy 35 feet of chain and 200+ feet of rode.

Lunch hook - None (we almost always anchor overnight or longer)

Storm anchor - to be added later, either replacing the Fortress or adding as a third anchor

Question:
In the configuration mentioned above, what diameter nylon rode and what type/size of chain would you recommend for my boat and usage with these two anchors? I like to err on the sizde of oversizing a little, but not to the extreme. Line that is too oversized won't take advantage of the stretch in nylon as much, putting more load on the boat.

I've read West Marine's, Don Casey's, and Chapman's recommendations--they all vary a little bit. Any thoughts on what you'd recommend? This is where not having owned a boat before leaves me at little behind on these types of choices.

Thanks for your help!
-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Search, this topic has been covered. Maybe not for your boat, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

I use the cheap stuff from home depot. Probably not the best, but I also carry 150' of spare rode. If a storm is coming, then I'll tie the spare rode to the chain as a back up in case the one that came with the boat decides to let go.

Defender has some good stuff already spliced with a thimble, if I were to buy some 'good stuff' I'd check them out, and the store here on sailnet.
Old 01-09-2009
Unpaid Intern

Thanks zz4gta, I did search quite a bit. I found threads, but those that discussed rode diameter (at least the ones I found) were for significantly different applications. Sorry to post on this topic again--just couldn't find the answer in past threads. Thanks!
-J
Old 01-09-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
laid or braided

I cannot comment on rode diameter, but I would comment on braided versus laid line. These comments are based on my experience, nothing else.

If you have a windlass, use laid line; it seems to work better in a rope gypsy.

If you have no windlass, use braided line; it is much easier on the hands.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-09-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
5/8" rode, quality 3-strand or brait
5/16" HT chain

Paul L
Old 01-09-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Agree with quality 5/8" nylon and 5/16" HT chain recommendation.

BTW, the Fortress is a very good anchor for the Chesapeake and its tributaries.

Bill
Old 01-09-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I agree with the 5/16HT and 5/16 3-strand nylon recommendations IF you do not have or plan to own a windlass. If you think a windlass will be in your future...pretend you were selecting one now and make sure the chain is compatible with the gypsy on the windlass you would select but at least 5/16.

I agree with the 35' for the Rocna but note that Fortress only recommends very short chain lengths as does Danforth. I would get 20 ft. and keep it easy to handle. 200ft. of nylon should be plenty for the Bay.
Old 01-09-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I looked at WM and Yale Cordage. West Marine suggests 1/2" 3-strand and 1/4" proof coil chain. Yale suggests 1/2" brait and 1/4" BBB chain. I didn't look at New England Ropes because I don't have the bandwidth (downloading podcasts) to get the catalog here on the boat. I don't see a lot of diversity there. I do really like the mult-iplait ropes so I would get 1/2" brait or the NE equivalent and 1/4" BBB or HT. If you already have a windlass with a chain gypsy I'd get whatever chain fit as long as it's 1/4" or better.

In the last year or so I've seen some real galvanizing problems on anchor chain, including that directly from Acco. I suggest not accepting delivery without inspection of the chain.
Old 01-09-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Agree with quality 5/8" nylon and 5/16" HT chain recommendation.

BTW, the Fortress is a very good anchor for the Chesapeake and its tributaries.

Bill
Yeah, I know the Fortress is a good anchor, and I'll be happy to have one aboard. I didn't want it as my primary because on fluke-type anchors, a severe wind shift can cause them to pop out, where they may or may not reset (have experienced this and it wasn't fun). I know that short of that situation, they are a great anchor for mud, so I think it's a great asset on board. I just want my primary anchor to be better at resetting. Plus, the light weight of the Fortress means I'm more likely to dig it out of the cockpit locker when I even think I might need it.
Old 01-09-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I looked at WM and Yale Cordage. West Marine suggests 1/2" 3-strand and 1/4" proof coil chain. Yale suggests 1/2" brait and 1/4" BBB chain. I didn't look at New England Ropes because I don't have the bandwidth (downloading podcasts) to get the catalog here on the boat. I don't see a lot of diversity there.
I think what was bothering me, was that the recommendations from West Marine said "for up to 30 knots of wind". While winds on the Bay are on the lighter side often, I've experienced sustained winds WAY over 30 knots while at anchor during squalls many times--and I've just been chartering. So 1/2" sounds a bit undersized to me, if I want to make sure we're prepared for most anything (short of named storms, etc.). I had been thinking about maybe 9/16" 3-strand with 5/16" BBB chain, but really wanted to hear what folks who have owned boats for much longer might recommend.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.