Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-09-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Question Cockpit Locker & Engine Access Gasketing

Hi Everyone:

One thing that I have noticed on my sailboat is that the cockpit locker and engine access hatch on the cockpit sole are not gasketed to prevent water ingress. The Cockpit locker does have a drainage channel around it for water that should happen to fall from rain or washing down the boat, but I wonder if it should have some kind of rubber compression gasket on the underside of the lid. The fuel tank and battery bank are located here, so maybe it needs to be vented to some degree? Any thoughts?

Also, I have a engine access cover on my cockpit sole that is hinged on one end, and held down with 2 threaded lock nuts on the other. There is no gasket on it as well, but again, no water appears to get into the engine compartment or bilge when I wash the boat down. I worry about what would happen if the cockpit flooded due to a wave but wonder if the overlapping lid and fiberglass on fiberglass seal is sufficient? Does this need to be slightly vented in order to feed oxygen to the engine, or does the engine pull air from the gaps around the interior cabin access hatches which aren't sealed either?

How weather tight are your cockpit lockers and engine access hatches?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Last edited by LittleWingCA; 01-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Our cockpit lockers are not gasketed either. Due to the large channels around the lid, we've never had any water ingress. They don't worry me in the least.

Our current C31 is unusual for a PSC in that it does not have an engine hatch in the cockpit sole (due to the more forward location of the engine). Our Dana 24 did have an engine hatch and it most definitely was gasketed. Ours deteriorated in time and I replaced it at one point. I would suggest gasketing yours. However, the hinge makes it a bit trickier (most of the cockpit hatches secure with four of the threaded nuts at each corner) to get nice even pressure around the gasket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-09-2009

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Wing, I have a 34' Irwin Citation that has cockpit sole access to the diesel that is supposed to be simply fastened at four corners (hasn't been for years). Also have locker access starboard to #2 battery bank. Both are scuppered to drain water. Admiral and I are re-installing the fasteners for the sole access this spring as I've been sweating a knockdown. But, as for the locker, it is latched so I don't really consider that a real worry. That said, I probably don't have some of the same conditions as you do in SoCal.
Pretty boat!

Mark

'Liberty' Citation 34

Last edited by citation34; 01-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Any recommendations on what type of material to get to gasket the engine access hatch in the cockpit sole? It would have to be thin due to the hinges on one side and the fact that when the hatch is bolted down on the other, there isn't much extra thread left above the lock nuts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 01-10-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Wing

Cockpit locker should not be a problem - I have never come across a gasketed one yet (but no doubt they do exist....). The hatch in the sole is a different matter and absolutely should be gasketed. I had a boat in the UK with exactly the arrangement that you describe. It had a rubber gasket glued to the hatch which mated with the fibreglass coaming around the opening. There are endless types of rubber sealing section available (Google and you will see what I mean) and you may be able to get these locally. In your case, it sounds like you need something with a fairly low profile.

In terms of the engine air supply, I can't recall any particular ventilation arrangements, which does seem a bit hit and miss, come to think of it. On the other hand, it was never a problem.....

If you are concerned about it, then a suitable deck ventilator would be easy to fit.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-10-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
My Ariel has deep channels under the lids that keep water out in most conditions.

while working in the salon with the heat going I noticed that I had a lot of cold air flow coming from under the companionway So I picked up some foam pipe insulation for 3/8th pipe that fits on the lip nicely and is compressed a bit by the lid so it seals pretty well.

It costs about $2 for a 6ft section.

I only did the side lockers, the outboard well I left open because it's sealed from the rest of the boat and since I keep gas in there I'd rather have as much ventilation as possible.

Think if you wanted to go for looks you could glue some fabric to it, the foam seems to be pretty durable, I keep all my tools in the stbd locker and while I've hooked it and pulled it off a few times (it's not glued) getting tools out, I haven't torn it up.

Ken.
Old 01-10-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
My 1984 Etap 26 has gasketed EVERYTHING! The seat lockers have a neoprene bulb gasket around the opening, and the lid is held down by a line attached to the underside that goes to a cleat inside a cabinet in the cabin. The engine cover in the floor is fully gasketed the same way, but has two lines tying it down tight that go to two cleats in a seat locker. Now here is the real surprise, the sliding hatch cover has a full gasket around it, as does the hatchboards!