Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDoll View Post
What's the opinion on counter materials? Corian - pricey? Tile scares me because 1) the backerboard alone is very heavy and 2) boats flex more than land-based kitchens, I would think, which might lead to problems. Formica again? That's what's there and they're making pretty Formica these days. Am I worried about nothing?
Hi DaleDoll and welcome to SailNet (I just read your post in the "Introducing Yourself" thread).

I guess the answer here depends on what kind of surface you want, what your budget will stand and the skills/tools available to you. If plain white is OK then I would certainly consider the West Marine synthetic lumber. It is easy to work with and you can edge it with teak/mahogany or whatever to create a fiddle rail. If you want some variety in the choice of surface design, then formica/plywood fits the bill. I'm not sure how these two options would compare in price.

I am very attracted by the corian option, but my experience of using it in a domestic kitchen suggests that it ain't that easy to work. SailingDog says otherwise, though, and he obviously has more experience......

Good luck and have fun

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LEither—

I think you're a bit confused... I haven't worked with Corian much at all... The last kitchen I did work on had granite counters.

I'm not a big fan of using starboard for things, and think that a marine plywood with formica laminate would probably be the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2009

DaleDoll is on a distinguished road
You all are wonderful! Thanks so much! I forgot to mention that we have the original teak edging on the counters. I'll have to get my husband, the woodworker, to create one piece for me to go over the opening where the original Princess stove would have slid in, but that's not a big deal. I think we may well go with Formica over marine ply.

I guess I'll have to revisit the stove issue. We currently have no dedicated ventilated locker for propane storage - the gas tanks for the outboard motor sit in the stern locker, which would have been my first choice.

Fortunately, we're at the planning/dreaming stage of the galley refit. We're still recovering from the initial purchase and what we had to invest to make her safely sailable. ;-)

Deb
s/v Gypsea
1977 Catalina 27
Old 01-12-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
LEitheró

I think you're a bit confused... I haven't worked with Corian much at all... The last kitchen I did work on had granite counters.

I'm not a big fan of using starboard for things, and think that a marine plywood with formica laminate would probably be the way to go.
Me??!! Confused???!! Good grief!!

Er, well you are right, of course, as always SD.

Damn!

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-12-2009

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander06 View Post
Got any pix of your galley? We have a little Liberty 28 cutter with a galley that I refurbished. The biggest item was the Force 10 propane stove top burner...

Picasa Web Albums - Voyager - Boat Decor
Nice boat, interior and exterior...

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 01-12-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Someone mentioned Starboard. This is NOT a good countertop material. This is a thick piece of harder than normal polyethylene - nothing more, nothing less. It melts, does not hold screws, scratches like crazy and is just nasty stuff all around. It has some legitimate uses but they tend to be found on powerboats.

Corian is good. It is more expensive than laminate but for the amount that you are lokking for the cost will be negligible. Look on Craig's List for someone who is remodelling their kitchen, or go to Home Depot and buy the display counters when they are changing their kitchen layouts.

We have 20 year old Corian on our boat (on a plywood substrate). The countertop has an aluminum edging which works nicely as a fiddle. Here is a pic prior to some recent upgrades...

[IMG]CS30 Galley[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
We've used Corian, Surrell, and Avonite on boats. Surrell is what I have the most experience with personally. If you use their adhesive, you can make invisible joints and attach fiddles and backsplashes easily and strongly. You can also join smaller pieces to get the size and shape you want, but be sure to use a plywood substrate as Sailormann mentioned. Personally, I loathe Avonite (I've only used it once though): it doesn't finish well and cracks easily. The Corian brand is the like the 'Kleenex' of countertop materials.

Oh, and he's bang-on about Starboard too. It's good for fish tables in the cockpit, making up equipment panels for the engine room and it makes great drawer slides. It does hold screws as long as you predrill them, but the threads don't have enough bite to sink a countersunk head without stripping. Apparently they make an adhesive for it but I've never tried it.

Last edited by Deadeye; 01-12-2009 at 11:04 PM.