Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2009

DaleDoll is on a distinguished road
Galley Refit

Hi everybody!

My husband and I are refitting our Catalina 27 - our first boat. We intend her ultimately for coastal cruising in a couple of years. Until then, she's on a South Texas lake. In the midst of the plethora of projects, large and small, looms the Galley Refit. She wasn't originally ordered with a complete galley - I'm lucky in that I have her original spec sheet, so I know what came from Catalina what was added/subtracted subsequently. We've decided on an Origo alchohol/electric two-burner stove, a rebuild of the icebox with more modern insulation, and leave the sink/foot-pump water system as it is. I can stand that. However, the counters... Honestly, they aren't all that bad, but the cutout is absolutely wrong for the stove. What's the opinion on counter materials? Corian - pricey? Tile scares me because 1) the backerboard alone is very heavy and 2) boats flex more than land-based kitchens, I would think, which might lead to problems. Formica again? That's what's there and they're making pretty Formica these days. Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks!
Debbi
s/v Gypsea
1977 Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2009

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Another option you might consider for your counter tops and cutout -

Been around since 1962.

Good luck with your project ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Old 01-11-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Formica is light, affordable and very workable - a great choice for countertops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd just rebuild with the proper cutout using a good quality arborite/formica. Corian style counters are in vogue nowadays, but they make creating a decent fiddle that works and looks right more difficult. You really need some kind of edge on the countertop to prevent stuff from sliding off in wave or wake induced motion.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-11-2009
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
If the counters aren't all that bad, why not just get the same type of counter top that is there now?

Another option is some of that Marine Lumber that West Marine caries. What it is, is like a synthetic lumber that actually a type of rubber/plastic. Kind of like that new composite material that they use to build decks and docks around a marine enviroment. Would be excellent in a boat and easy to clean.

Personally, I HATE the two burner alcohol stove in my boat. It just doesn't get hot enough for me, and I like to cook. I would go with propane, I know I will on my next boat.

Good luck with getting her ready to go! Maybe you'll pass by my way on your way to the Keys in a few years!

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 01-11-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whampoa View Post
Another option you might consider for your counter tops and cutout -

Been around since 1962.

Good luck with your project ..
As someone in the restaurant biz, I love the look and finish of stainless counters. Looks better as it wears and is easy to keep clean. BUT getting it made right (the first time) can be a real challenge and is really pricey compared to laminate on top of 1/2" ply. It is also hard to modify sitting at the dock unlike laminate.

Have fun. I'm doing a new ply / laminate counter as soon as I can get to the boat under all that snow. And once the Toronto Island ferries run a decent schedule.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-12-2009

superiorvoyager is on a distinguished road
My last boat had an origo alcohol, I hated it. My new boat has propane and I love it. As far as the counter top Formica works great but make sure you have a lip on the edge. I have formica with a wood facing that comes up above the counter top. Keeps things sort of in place in the waves.
Old 01-12-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
We're going with Corian, it's easy to work with ( think wood ) cuts, routers like hardwoods and edging can either be in Corian or teak or even Corian with teak inlays.

We, look at a Tayana 55 several years ago that had ceramic which was really nice and grouting was with a caulking, I wouldn't be too concerned with CT tops, also 1/4 hardibacker is pretty lightweight

All our tops, tables and even the nav desk is formica right now and though formica has a lot of choices, Corian is just easier for me to work with.

Plus we want the polished granite look

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 01-12-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2009

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Got any pix of your galley? We have a little Liberty 28 cutter with a galley that I refurbished. The biggest item was the Force 10 propane stove top burner...

Picasa Web Albums - Voyager - Boat Decor
Old 01-12-2009

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Very nice work, Sander.