Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Mixing ST40 & ST60 Series Raymarine

Hi All,

I'm about to take delivery on my new Beneteau 343, and of course like all new boats, instrumentation is a bit on the thin side.

I have a ST60 Tridata & C80 plotter at the helm, but I would like to add some instrumentation at the nav station as well. Does anyone know if the following is possible:

1) Second C70 or C80 unit down below...I've heard that in the past this wasn't possible, but Raymarine has released firmware allowing multiple units over Seatalk. A new screen would be very expensive

2) Add a set of cheaper ST40 instruments below. I'm thinking ST40 Bi-Data and ST40 Windspeed. Reason being, I have access to ST40 instruments at virtually free due to friend performing a refit

3) Of course, this option would be to buy a new set of ST60 instruments...but they're expensive

I'd prefer to go with option #2 since it would be lowest entry level from cost perspective. BUT, does anyone know if its possible to mix/match ST40 and 60 series over seatalk? And have examples on their vessel to prove it?

Thanks all!

night0wl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
You want to use an ST60+ Graphic as a repeater for all the bits of data. The ST40, so far as I know will repeat but you would need a Bidata and a Wind display. At least the Graphic would do it all in one instrument as well as tell you what the AP is doing. Follow this link to see the specs.

Graphic Display

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
You want to use an ST60+ Graphic as a repeater for all the bits of data. The ST40, so far as I know will repeat but you would need a Bidata and a Wind display. At least the Graphic would do it all in one instrument as well as tell you what the AP is doing. Follow this link to see the specs.

Graphic Display
I love this device...but best price I could find for it is $400.

This versus having ST40 Bi-Data ($150) + ST40 Wind ($130), it seems like the more cost effective thing to do would be to buy the ST40 series devices at less than $300. For my case specifically, I have access to the ST40 devices for free...

But I think youv'e answered my question...that being there isn't any technical reason holding back having ST40 down below, just doesn't look as nice. Correct?
Old 01-12-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
The ST40s will work. But if I am down below and the Raymarine AP is running at least with the Graphic I can see what it is doing. Also 1 less cable, 1 less cutout, smaller footprint on the bulkhead. It might be a little pricier at the start but I would think with a new boat you want it to look just right, if you know what I mean. Your dealer should be able to cut you a good deal if not throw it in (yeah right!!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
The ST40s will work. But if I am down below and the Raymarine AP is running at least with the Graphic I can see what it is doing. Also 1 less cable, 1 less cutout, smaller footprint on the bulkhead. It might be a little pricier at the start but I would think with a new boat you want it to look just right, if you know what I mean. Your dealer should be able to cut you a good deal if not throw it in (yeah right!!).

This makes sense...but what dealer nowadays is giving anything away for free. The fewer cutouts is nice, but I kinda like the look of a nav station with tons of instruments. Plus its a lot less thumbing through readouts...the Wind instrument is nice and large rather than just a knot readout also. I guess I'll have to see if Raymarine has any good rebates on those devices to make it a better deal.