Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2009
Casting off May 2009

lassrl is on a distinguished road
source for a 1 1/2" bronze elbow with hose barbs

I am replacing the diesel fuel fill hoses on my Whitby 42. One of them takes a 90 degree turn that is currently a copper elbow. Looks like it came from Home Depot. I'd rather have that item in bronze but have not found a source for it yet. I could 'build' it with a threaded elbow and two tail pieces - I can find that... but I would rather have it all one piece. Tried WM, Defender, even some plumbing supply stores. Searched the internet, searched here... no luck.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Scott - I had a similar problem with part of the bilge pump plumbing, looking for a plastic elbow that size. I could not find such a thing in the usual places and eventually tried searching for a bronze fitting the same size. I'm afraid I had no luck with that either (sorry!). I eventually found a local plumbing supply place and they neither stocked such a thing nor could order it for me.... they did have a plastic one, though.

I hope someone comes up with a source. If not, the "composite" approach that you suggest should be absolutely OK.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Provided the copper elbow is only connected to hoses, what is the problem??? Galvanic corrosion shouldn't be much of an issue, unless this piece is normally submerged in the bilge—then it is a bit of a problem. If the part isn't submerged, isn't in contact with other metal, why bother? Diesel doesn't care that it is bronze or copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassrl View Post
I am replacing the diesel fuel fill hoses on my Whitby 42. One of them takes a 90 degree turn that is currently a copper elbow. Looks like it came from Home Depot. I'd rather have that item in bronze but have not found a source for it yet. I could 'build' it with a threaded elbow and two tail pieces - I can find that... but I would rather have it all one piece. Tried WM, Defender, even some plumbing supply stores. Searched the internet, searched here... no luck.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-12-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I agree with sailingdog.
have you tried Groco or do a google search for the item?
Old 01-12-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
groco catalog does not show bronze elbows

Midland metal Midland Metal Mfg. - Brass Fittings, Valves, Nipples & Fittings, Plastic Fittings, Hose Clamps, Tubing, Pneumatic Quick Disconnect, Accessories, Hydraulic Adapters
Buck Algonquin
Yacht Supply Surplus
BRASS FITTINGS Brass Pipe Fittings Hose Barbs Stainless Steel Fittings Hydraulic Adapters Hydraulic Fittings Grease Zerks Hose Clamps

The real question is whether you will be getting "Bronze" or "Red Brass".
They are quite similar but real bronze is better. Many sources of bronze are actually selling red brass. For your application, red brass should be plenty fine.
Old 01-12-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
You don't need to use bronze in a fuel system or in your domestic on board water system. Copper or brass is perfectly acceptable. If you still want bronze try Hamilton Marine or Jamestown Distributors..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-13-2009

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
The Jamestown distributors online catalog shows a 1-1/4 NPT to 1-1/2 hose barb bronze 90 deg elbow for about $36 each. I've given them lots of business. They are a very reliable company.
GRO-FFC1500 -- 1-1/4 inches NPT x 1-1/2 inches Hose ID
[url=http://www.jamestowndistributors.com[/url]

But I think you're looking the hose barb on both sides of the elbow (not the NPT). I also tlooked at McMaster-carr mcmastercar.com and found the same type of elbow. I guess I would go with the female elbow and two tail pieces.

Chuck

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE

Last edited by ChuckA; 01-13-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: updated size added Mcmaster carr