Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
New Rocna Stowable

I just found out from a friend of mine that Rocna now makes a stowable version of their anchor.

Here is a photo of the Rocna 20 stowable next to a Rocna 25 stowable. Notice the bolt and slot on the bottom of the anchor.

Here's a detail photo of the locking screw mechanism:

No idea on what the beasties cost though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-13-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: photos removed per request of mods.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Interesting. I wonder how it works? It also looks like here are two bolts under the roll bar.
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By the looks of it, the anchor stock goes up through the blade and is locked in position by the bolt. The pin in the stock prevents the stock from passing through the slot in the blade, as does the bottom profile of the stock's end I'm guessing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-12-2009

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I didn't find this on the net. Anyone know who is selling them? The only thing (other than $ of course) keeping me from getting one of the new anchors as a storm hook has been figuring out where to stow it. This would be a real help.
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

From what my friend said, they're not in full production and haven't been announced yet...but he worked with Craig Smith and got one shipped up from NZ. The Canadian manufacturer isn't up to speed on them yet either, so they're not readily available in North America right now.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-12-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by genieskip View Post
I didn't find this on the net. Anyone know who is selling them? The only thing (other than $ of course) keeping me from getting one of the new anchors as a storm hook has been figuring out where to stow it. This would be a real help.
Wait for the Manson Supreme Stowable.

I agree with you that this sounds like a great way to keep a "real" anchor on board without re-doing bow rollers, et al. It's almost like the realized their anchor was a cumbersome and awkward shape.
Old 01-12-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Canadian manufacturer?
I understood that they are making their anchors in china
distro in canada
Old 01-12-2009
Telstar 28

Don't know where you got that idea, but Suncoast Marine is making them for North American distribution last I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Canadian manufacturer?
I understood that they are making their anchors in china
distro in canada

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-12-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Manson posted it on another site...
Old 01-12-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Ahem. Apparently Dawg is my friend, or I am his. Who knew?

I have a Rocna Stowable 25 in the bed of my truck in Annapolis. It will be on the boat this week and wet this weekend. Anyone who wants to come play is welcome. It will be cold. To my knowledge there are two of these anchors extant as of November, my 25 and a 20. I don't know where the 20 is. I don't know when full production will start. I don't know what production pricing will be. I am an early adopter on the initial Rocna anchors, but I don't know why I was offered the opportunity to play with this anchor. If you ask any of these questions you are buying rounds for everyone who shows up to play.

To my mind - and anyone may feel differently - this means that there are only a few technically viable (cost aside) options for a really good holding, solid, readily stowed, secondary anchor: Rocna Stowable, Raya Tempest, Spade, and Fortress.

I am not going to be doing scientific testing right now. I have two years experience with a standard Rocna 25. My initial messing about in boats with this anchor will be qualitative comparison with the fixed anchor.

That said, anyone who is a degreed civil or ocean engineer with expertise in saturated soils who would like to coauthor a paper for SNAME and/or RINA on repeatable anchor testing should get in touch.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
wintering Annapolis MD