Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2009

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
UV fabric on Genoa-replace?

When I bought my Catalina 27' a couple of months ago the genoa was furled on and appeared to have been there for a while. It was dingy looking. I unfurled it, pulled it down and took it home to wash. The UV protective panels are supposed to be white, but these had mildew stains and were dirty from being out in the elements. The PO said the sails were about 1 1/2 yrs old at the time I bought the boat. The sail is a Rolly Tasker and the dacron seems to be in decent condition. I washed the UV portion of the sale in a bathtub with a small amount of bleach. *I did a lot of reading about this prior to giving it a shot. The jury seems to have reached a 50/50 conclusion regarding washing sails in any type of bleach.

The result is that one part of the UV panel, the first part to be washed came remarkably clean, considering my expectation was that it wouldn't work. The second panel came no where close to the same result. However, the second panel was the dirtiest.

My question is this: can these panels be replaced on an otherwise decent condition sale? I would prefer not to wait to buy another sail in a year or two and use this awful looking sail in the interim. I'd also prefer not to spend the money. Has anyone done this and what did you end up spending? Do it again?

Thanks for the responses,

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Chris, Any good sailmaker will be able to replace the panels - at a cost, of course (this is a boat related item we are talking about here!).

BTW, I am really surprised that the panels sre so dirty, given the age they are.....

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-13-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
I don't use the DIY approach for sails.

I send mine in to sailcare and let the experts do their thing.
When my quote came back from Sailcare it included having the UV protection replaced. I belive that my original UV material was PVC and the proffesionals at Sailcare offered me the same or Sunbrella. I went with the same material is it is lighter than sunbrella. Also they are going to modify the Leach of the sail as well as the foot when replacing the UV.

It might be worth it to send to someone who has extensive experience with sail's and thier care.

I think its money well spent, Jerry at Sailcare is first class. I expect I will be receiving back a better sail than the one I sent in. For me, thats money well spent.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 01-13-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2009

Thanks for the reply. I was very disappointed as well. The woman I bought the boat from seemed to be very honest and everything she told me about the boat seems to ring true, so I have no reason to doubt her. It is possible the PO to her was not quite as honest, but nonetheless, I have dirty sails.

I will call around today to see who can do this and what it will cost. I wasn't planning to do this type of maintenance just yet, I do need a winch and a few other things to make the boat super nice for my family's firt voyage. I don't want to trot around with a moldy sail up front. I can attract enough attention already with my lack of sailing knowledge-I don't need any help from a filthy genoa.

Chris
Old 01-13-2009

sailortjk1, what did you end up paying for the UV replacement? I'm assuming they charge by the foot like fabrics are sold, including the cost of labor.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-13-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the hunting. I guess a lot depends on how fastidious you are. I sailed for years in the UK with a stained genny (the stains just wouldn't come out). Like everything else, you just tend to get used to it......

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-13-2009

If it costs more than 25% of the cost of a new sail I may decide to wait and use what I have. I have no reason to replace other than I know it will always be an issue to me until I have it cleaned/fixed/replaced.

Chris
Old 01-13-2009

It's going to be a lot. I called a local "The Sail Loft" and the gentleman explained that it costs $1.50/ft to remove the old UV panel and $7.50/ft to install new. They use either Sunbrella or a UV treated Dacron (less life than sunbrella), but both cost the same.

I don't know the size of my genoa yet. It is on a 27' Catalina. I think I'm better off keeping it the way it is for a while.

Chris
Old 01-13-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If the sail is in otherwise good shape, not blown out, crispy material...repair the panel yourself! We just replaced our bimini, it was tricky dealing with compound curves, but it's not brain surgery. replacing a one foot strip shouldn't be too tricky. Do some reading & researching. Lots of great resources around; books websites, videos, etc.
Old 01-13-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Its not cheap your right.
I don't have my quote in front of me, but I am paying right around $600 for that repair.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White