Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
FG layup schedule to achieve desired thickness

Here's the question: How do I translate thickness of a laminate to a layup schedule?

Sometime in the near future, I am going to have to do some core replacement on my decks. Once I cut into them, I will know how thick they should be and desire to replicate that thickness. Where the core is still 100%, the decks are fine so I believe that I should try to replicate the factory thickness.

Maybe I'm just approaching this from the wrong direction. But, I can't figure out how to measure the thickness short of doing a test layup. I could mess around with this and come up with something but, if there are formulas to get where I need to be, I'd like to work from that direction so I can get enough of what I need the first go around.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
If you want to be very precise, you can try to contact the builder and find out the laminate schedule.

However, that probably is not necessary. If you're a little over/under, it's not hard to sand it back down/build it up while fairing for paint prep. For most decks, 2 layers of 1708 biax topped with 1 layer of 10 oz cloth works well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2009

idontwantanaccount is on a distinguished road
Contact the fiberglass manufacturer. Some general, nonspecialty cloth info was posted at the link below.

Fiberglass thickness - Boat Design Forums
Old 01-15-2009

Thank you for the replies

I can't contact the builder as it is a Columbia. I really don't need to be that precise. I just want to have a general idea so that I can lay wet-on-wet when I do this. In the end, I want to avoid a springy deck or having to sand a whole layer off because I guessed wrong.

idontwanna,
Thank you for the link to the chart. That's a great starting point.

With all the experience on here, I'm surprised that those that have done this don't have an opinion. I'm thinking I should phrase this in such a way that what I'm trying to accomplish sounds like a really stupid idea. That seems like the best way to get a lot of responses
Old 01-15-2009

Quote:
I just want to have a general idea so that I can lay wet-on-wet when I do this
dgr - you're not going to want to build up all of the layers at once as the excessive heat can compromise the laminate. Depending on the weight of the glass, you'll be limited to 2 or three layers at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2009

Jason,
Thanks for that. So, what are the options to avoiding amine blush and insuring the highest bond strength between layers? Or can I go polyester or vinylester and just wax the last layup. It seems to me that everyone that does this type of work is using epoxy but I'm open to whatever will achieve the desired end result.
Old 01-15-2009

The amine blush is easy to address. Just spray the cured resin with water and srub it with a scotch brite pad - you don't need to scour it, just rub it down. Not a big deal (don't skip the step, but a decent scrub will remove any of the blush).

Forget poly or vinylester resins. They're OK for an initial build, but they have very poor secondary bonding characteristics. For a repair, epoxy is the only way to go.

Old 01-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some epoxies don't blush or have a much reduced blush, like MAS epoxies...Or you can choose to lay up while the first layer is still tacky, before it cures fully.

The main reason most people go with Epoxy resins is because Epoxy resins have much better secondary (adhesive) bonding characteristics than do vinylester and polyester resins. Polyester and vinylester resins are much weaker when they can't form primary (chemical) bonds and have to rely on secondary (adhesive) bonding.

Two things to be aware of. First, epoxy resins deform and weaken at much lower temperatures than do vinylester and polyester resins, so you need to paint or gelcoat epoxy resin work in fairly light colors if the work is exterior. Second, epoxy resins are also subject to UV-degradation, so they need to be coated with something to protect them—paint or gelcoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Jason,
Thanks for that. So, what are the options to avoiding amine blush and insuring the highest bond strength between layers? Or can I go polyester or vinylester and just wax the last layup. It seems to me that everyone that does this type of work is using epoxy but I'm open to whatever will achieve the desired end result.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2009

SD,
Are you suggesting I do this from the inside? Next thing, you'll be telling my I'm short two hulls

Seriously, thanks for the pointers. Laying up while the previous layup is green was what I was hoping to do. I will definitely be painting my deck white or some other non-dark color.
Old 01-16-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
If you use major brand names epoxy - West system, MAS etc, there is no amine blush when using slow hardeners.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.