LEDs bought at the Annapolis Boat Show in October 2009 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dave—

Maine Sail has posted several fairly in-depth tests with photos of the various brand replacement LED bulbs. The ones that come out on top, at least in the ones I've seen are the Sensibulbs... both in terms of brightness, color and coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have started replacing cabin lights with LED. They are truly a savings energy wise. Their lighting and color is definately different so we will leave some dimming florescents in place also.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2009

Systemlight is on a distinguished road
LED's

Rik if you are looking for LED's lighting I can get you 12v light bars and 12v light pucks. Amazing light energy saving and will last you 70,000 hours.
Old 01-17-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
The real question is whether the LEDs are cheaper in January 2009 or October 2009! Buy now or wait!
Well, three years ago, I saw the Lopolight masthead for $750, which I thought was nuts. At this year's Toronto boatshow, I was quoted $259, or nearly one-third the price, and I saw a very similar British knockoff for $179 (don't know the name, but it was at the VMG booth selling NASA AISes).

So while they are still expensive, you have to balance this against the fairly frequent need to carry spares and to replace incandescent masthead lights of the Perko/Aquasignal type, which means climbing the bloody mast in a seaway.

I still think $250 is too much, but it's getting close to what I would pay for 10 years of "on all night on passage for a few amps" nav lighting.
Old 01-17-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Saildog

Excellllent advice with sensibulb. I a couple in our array so far and although somewhat pruicier than others, they are by far the best lights on your eyes.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-17-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Practical Sailor LED ratings this issue

they tested some bulbs and fixtures and reported. I have tried various bulbs in the past 3 years. Sensi-bulbs have great light. Dr. LED's are good for bunk reading lights. The field is changing rapidly.
Old 01-17-2009
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Back to the original question, I seem to remember that both CruisingSolutions.com and Sailorssolutions.com had booths at the show behind Fawcetts with a lot of led's.
Old 01-17-2009

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
Back to the original question, I seem to remember that both CruisingSolutions.com and Sailorssolutions.com had booths at the show behind Fawcetts with a lot of led's.
Definatly LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc. behind Fawcetts. I purchased some things there as well.
Old 01-27-2009

fuzzyevolution is on a distinguished road
Annapolis Boat Show

There was one more vendor at the show selling LEDs signalmate.com
Smooth Sailing
Old 01-27-2009
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Lightbrights?

When I worked for a Computer Manufacturer back in the early 1980's we rob parts off boards that were thrown away. My main wants were LEDs and the large power capacitors (caps) from power supplies (not found today).

We (friends always good for free help) experimented with the LEDs and actually the large caps for a backup power supply to the LEDs. Very interesting and fun. Somewhere down the line I guess people learn to make big bucks from LEDs for marine use.

I enjoy making what I can. My $54 fuse panel will be the equivilent of what most people pay $200-300 for. True, mine may not be as pretty as I want to use the original manufacturers panel.

But, I just wanted to ramble and say I found a place called "All Electronics" I think you can search or type allelectronics.com and here the link for an easy;
All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices

Now listen;
I just made my first cheap order to see how they do. Hope to get in a few days.

If, they seem OK and reputable I want to order some electroluminescent strips from them to experiment. Then I can recommend them better. I really hope they OK. But, I can order a D.C. Volt meter from Frys.com for 1/3 price, so always do a little browsing to know prices!

I not sure of your experience with electrics, but, for what something sell for when it say "marine" I learned to make for very less and have fun. One day I hope to post a picture of my $200-300 panel that cost $54.

Just learn to Solder, follow instructions and have a fun winter hobby.

Last edited by Gryzio; 01-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Hey Gryzio, that is a COOL place. Thanks for the link!

Radio Shack isn't what it used to be, Lafayette Radio Electronics is gone, and so are most of the cool places. There's still digikey and a few others around, but that one looks like a great place to get parts I don't have in a junk box (and who wants to search through 30 junk boxes any more?)

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet