Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
varifold props

i went to the boatshow this past weekend looking to see if i could find a deal on a new folding prop as my old martec has come to the end of its life.
after pricing out a rebuild and hearing what they had to say on how they actually repair it im definetly not going down that road.
at the show, from what i found in my price range the best bet seems to be a geared varifold prop which i had priced out thru quantum.
the rep took my info and called me today to give me a price and told me the prop size for my boat all depended on if my tranny had reduction gearing.
typically, he said my boat should take a 12" prop but if it came equipped with a reduction geared transmission i would have to go with a 15" prop.
i have no idea what he is talking about or how to find this info out.
i looked thru the build sheets for my boat and cant find this info anywhere.
all i did find is that the martec was installed at the factory.
shaft size apparently doesnt matter as c&c only had 7/8 or 1" and this prop fits both.
the price i was quoted was just over $1100 cad plus taxes for the 12" and $200 more for the 15".the best they could do was 10% off because of their "boat show sale".is this a good price?
my old martec measures out to just over 16" from end to end.
my father,who is also buying the same prop has a C&c 35 mk1 and his boat has a fixed prop measuring out to 12" and according to the rep c&c did not release reduction gearing until the late 70's so its easy for him.
what i do know is that in the 35 mk1 the tranny sits behind the engine (so its under the cockpit floor) and on my boat it sits in front of the engine (so the tranny is under the stairs).
any thoughts?

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 01-14-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Do you know what model your gear box is?
try here:

Atomic Four Specifications
just scroll down until you see the sections on gearboxes and prop size- that may answer your question. if the gearbox is front mounted, it sounds like you have a v-drive, which has a choice of four ratios.

Last edited by bljones; 01-14-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2009

agoodman is on a distinguished road
I have a 1974 c&c 35 MKII with atomic 4 engine in it. The transmission is a direct drive and I replaced the prop last year with a variprop. I think i paid around $1100 for it. I am very please with the prop both in forward and especially in reverse. I found the company to be very helpful with questions.
Old 01-15-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
what i do know is that in the 35 mk1 the tranny sits behind the engine (so its under the cockpit floor) and on my boat it sits in front of the engine (so the tranny is under the stairs).
any thoughts?

You have a v-drive. Normally there is a rating plate on the transmission that will give two gear ratios one for reverse and one for forward. They can't help you without this info. Also knowing what engine you have would help!

This is the location of the gear ratio plate for a Hurth/ZF V-Drive:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-15-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
so the guy got back to me today.
"Chris,

referring to your visit at the boat show I confirm an offer as follows for your C&C 33 MkI with Atomic 4 and 2:1 reduction drive.

VARIFOLD 2-blade folding propeller model VF 70, RH, 1" shaft, 16"x10" $ 1,375.- FOB Toronto

This price is in Canadian dollars, and reduced by 10% show discount if an order with deposit is placed before the end
of the month, when the sale expires.

Our price is very competitive and lower than any other. Please check Flexofold, Phone 781-631-3190 ( US $ 1,155)
and Gori (AB Marine) Phone 401-847-7960 (US $ 1,211). In addition to the exchange you must consider about $ 30 to $ 50 for freight and custom clearing, and you do not get a show discount, I believe. On top, ours is of later design, has more powerful blades and will give you higher speed and better reverse. Happy to send you test reports, if you wish.

For ordering please contact QUANTUM and talk to Greg , phone 416 xxx xxx.

Any technical questions, please ask us. If you give me a fax number, I can fax you the original C&C specs calling for a 16"x10" propeller for your boat with 2:1 reduction drive."

any thoughts on the price?
Old 01-15-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
That's a big prop. I am surprised that they recommend a 16" prop.
Old 01-15-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
I too am from Canada and we bought and used a Flexofold on our last boat. I am in no way related to any of the three companies that were mentioned, but we were extremely pleased with the Flexofold. We used the standard 2 blade.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.