Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2009

dhornsey is on a distinguished road
Staysail sheet lead-block tracks

Hi All,

Our 31 foot boat is supposed to be a cutter, but has never been sailed as one. I've recently rigged our inner fore-stay and want to set up a loose-footed stay-sail, no boom.

My question is about where to place the tracks for the sheet lead-blocks. It could be on the cabin top, or on the rail. If on the cabin top, the tracks will be much closer to the center line of the boat, obviously.

Do you know of any advantages or disadvantages to either option?

Thanks, as always,
-D
Old 01-14-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The trim angle of the jib is a determining factor as to how close to the wind the sail can be trimmed. generally, the closer, the better, to some limit. Small jibs can often be trimming inside the shroud base, since they don't need to go around the stays. I beleive a staysail should be trimmed a little closer than the foresail, so i would think you would want tracks well in from the toerail.

However i would expect that the boat designer has worked all this out and if you do some homework, you should be able to find a deck plan or its equivalent, which should remove the need for guessing.
Old 01-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Once again I agree with SF.. the PSC Mariah 31 is a pretty standard boat.. even looking through pictures on Yachtworld, for instance, should yield some examples of what others (or the factory) have done!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It goes on the coach roof just inside the AFT handrails:
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/0/...?1227709685000

Not a Mariah...but same principle should apply. Keep it in close for better windward performance.

Last edited by camaraderie; 01-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
the PSC Mariah 31 is a pretty standard boat..
Most of the Mariah's I've seen had self tacking, club-footed staysails with an athwartship traveller just forward of the mast.

This boat has a long sprit, with the staysail tacked at or near the stem, where most boats would secure their jib/genoa tack. So the proper location for any sheet leads ends up being quite a bit further forward than on the PSC Crealock 31 shown in Camaraderie's photo.

I definitely would not put those tracks on the toe rail -- I think they'd be too far outboard for close reaching. And the side decks are probably too narrow to accommodate them. So Cam's photo does a good job of showing approximately how far inboard they probably ought to go.

The Crealock 31 has molded in pads for the staysail lead tracks, so there's no doubt where the tracks go. I don't recall seeing any on the Mariahs. My suggestion would be to work with your sailmaker to decide how large the staysail will be, then with those dimensions in hand figure the proper place for the tracks. My hunch is it will be further forward than on the Crealock 31.

P.S. I always liked the self-tacking aspect of the Mariah's staysail (if not the club foot).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-14-2009

Thanks for the input guys. As far as figuring out what other Mariahs have done, I am coming up short. Like John mentioned, most Mariahs are rigged club footed, which I'm trying to avoid, just due to personal preference. Plus the original owner made modifications to the rig & sail plan - meaning we're pretty much a one off. I appreciate the picture of the crealock, I should have thought to look for similar boats on yachtworld. Maybe a westsail or a southern cross 31.

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2009

GBurton is on a distinguished road
I'm currently setting up my staysail tracks on my Westsail 32. Like you I'm looking for optimum position for the tracks (I am going loose footed as well)The best I have seen is in this picture - the tracks are angled for more sheeting options.
Old 01-15-2009

Thanks GBurton. I just read up on your thread over at westsail.org as well. Do you have any insight into why westsail has layed out the tracks on an angle like that? What is the advantage?
Old 01-15-2009

islandplanet is on a distinguished road
We've built a couple of self-tending staysails recently for boats that added a curved section of track running across the foredeck. One was a MacGregor 65 and the other was a Tayana 42. There is less margin for error building these kind of staysails as opposed to conventional jibs. Sometimes a clewboard is helpful as it gives you some different choices on where the sheet attaches. On boats with heavier loads the clewboard should be webbed on, not riveted. If you are buying a self tacking staysail over the internet make sure you are working with someone who knows what they are doing. You should be asked for some very detailed measurements regarding the track layout. Without getting into too much detail we have our customers give us the location of the center and ends of track both vertically and horizontally with reference to certain points. Sheeting angle gets worked out from a measurement made from the position of 45% hoist.

Both of the sails I mentioned came out beautifully and the owners were quite pleased. The Tayana 42 was a local boat that I measured and the Mac 65 was out of town but we coached the owner through the measuring process.
Old 01-15-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
ip- brings up a good point. Why not make a self tacking staysail that is loose footed? You don't have to have a jib boom to make it self tending.