SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Cordage

10K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  arf145 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a preference for a particular brand and type of cordage. I'm heading back to the Toronto show tomorrow (or is it today now) and will be buying a whole whack to replace my genoa sheets, main sheet and a couple of halyards.

I was thinking Sta-Set X (New England) or XLS (Samson) for the halyards and 3/8 Sta-Set (New England) or Trophy (Samson) for the sheets.

#2 ·
StaSetX is a great choice for halyards, and the Sta-Set is a good choice for for the sheets. The Samson Trophy Braid is a parallel core line, like the Sta-SetX and may have the same problems of being too stiff for use as sheets. I haven't used it personally, so you'll probably want to check it out to see how flexible and soft it is.

#3 · (Edited)
StaSetX is a great choice for halyards, and the Sta-Set is a good choice for for the sheets.
I disagree with Dog on StaSet X. I find it stiff, does not like winches and pills horribly and is still quite stretchy. I have had it on two boats and will never use it again. You might try to find some New England Ropes VPC.

Contrary to popular belief StaSet X is also still fairly stretchy compared to other halyard line. It stretches 2.4% or 14.4 inches in 50 feet. My halyards are 120 long.

I like StaSet for sheets but if you are racing in light air the stay set can get awfully heavy and weigh down the sail..

Unfortunately most US sailors use NER mostly because there was a family connection / relation between the owner of New England Ropes and West Marine. It's unfortunate that many sailors have only had access to NER when there are plenty of other less costly options. Unfortunately this relationship between WM & NER has forced companies like Yale Cordage to persue other markets and put very little effort into the marine market. It's too bad because Yale makes some great stuff as does Nova Braid out of Canada.. NER has been sold so it will be interesting to see how long this "relationship" lasts!!

Other alternatives to StaSet X:

StaSet X = 2.4% stretch and is about $86.00 per 100ft for 3/8" (Best source Hall Spars).

Nova Braid XLE = 2.25% stretch and is about $70.00 per 100ft for 3/8". (Best sources is Rope Warehouse or Cajun Trading Co.)

Samson XLS = 2% stertch and about $86.00 per 100ft for 3/8". (best source usually Defender)

NER VPC = 1.65% stretch and about $89.00 per 100ft for 10mm (roughly 3/8"). (best source Defender)

Samson XLS Extra = .7% stretch and about $133.00 per 100ft for 3/8" (best sources Hall Spars, Defender or Annapolis Performance Sailing)

#4 ·
Just curious Maine Sail—what diameter lines are those prices for?? Also, comparing Sta-SetX to a dyneema, spectra or vectra cored line is a bit unfair. :)

#6 · (Edited)
Just curious Maine Sail-what diameter lines are those prices for??
All the line quoted was 3/8" or 10mm..

I removed Yale Vizzion because it is hard to find. I bought some for my own boat from Hamilton on sale for .72 ft in 3/8".. Yale still makes it but no one is stocking it at it's new price point.

Also, comparing Sta-SetX to a dyneema, spectra or vectra cored line is a bit unfair. :)
Unfair? When VPC from Defender is only .86 ft (1.65% vs. 2.4% stretch) and the best price I could find on StaSetX is .83 -.86 ft. how is that unfair? I think it is very fair to buy VPC over StaSetX for about the same price don't you??;) And guess what VPC might actually flake well!

I guess it's unfair that Defender does not sell StaSet X but has a killer price on VPC..:confused:;)

#8 ·
Tommays: Maybe I should have mentioned that this boat is 99% cruising. I haven't raced a boat since the 80s. Except for when I am running a channel and there is another boat heading the same way, then everyone thinks they are racing! Although I am thinking of the Lake Ontario Short Handed Racing Series as a way to race without crew. Looking for can be such grief sometimes.

SD and Maine: Thanks for the comparison. Unfortunately, that pricing doesn't apply to me as I am in Toronto but at least it gives me a comparison.

#10 ·
I mail order from Canada all the time, HMP, ElectroPhysics, Cajun Trading etc.. Why would you not be able to order from Defender?

If you want an excellent value the Nova-Braid XLE from Cajun Trading Co. (Which is in Nova Scotia) is a tremendous value and he will splice it too!! I highly recommend Cajun Trading!! It is hard to find a better deal on running rigging than Cajun Trading Co.!!

Cajun Trading Co. (LINK)

#14 ·
I'm thinking of getting some Cajun XLE myself, AllThumbs. So, MaineSail, do you consider the XLE to be suitable halyard material for the non-racing coastal cruiser sailor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.