Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Spectra for Swing Keel Pennant?

I am considering replacing the swing keel pennant on my little 22' with spectra line. Does anybody know where I can find good information on spectra line? I hear it is stronger than stainless cable, and I imagine it would stand up better when fully submerged for long periods.

What have you all got to say about spectra for this application?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Spectra, vectran and dyneema based lines can all be stronger than their equivalent diameter stainless steel wire rope, with about the same amount of stretch. However, it does have the problem that they're not as chafe resistant as stainless steel wire rope. Provided you've made sure all the sheaves and such are smooth and clean, so as not to chafe the line, I'm sure it'd work quite well as a swing keel pennant. One thing to consider is how you are going to terminate the line so that it is protected from chafe at the attachment point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I would stick with stainless wire. Chafe alone would worry me - even if you have a nice smooth/fair run, you can snag material when sailing along that could become problematic.

Also, I would want to research whether they would be better than stainless wire in an application where they are submerged/saturated for long periods of time. It may be that their properties are diminished when constantly wet?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRP—

Depends on whether the pennant stays inside the swing keel trunk or not. If it is completely within the swing keel trunk, then it might be okay. If it extends out past the trunk when the swing keel is fully extended, sticking with SS is a better idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-15-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I can't disagree with anything said so far.
Some of my customers who were having a major problem with electrolysis have decided to go with line. Surprisingly, I haven't had any of them return and mention that they had a chafe problem. Of course, it's only been a few years so far.
One thing about using line that may be an advantage is; it's might be easier to make up a new piece from line than wire. If someone sailed in an area where they can dive on their boat, they might carry enough extra to replace it themselves when needed.

I wonder, what do people think is a reasonable lifespan for a centerboard pennant?
Old 01-15-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'd probably stay with the wire rope. I wouldn't use anything though that, I myself couldn't splice or was known for being difficult to splice or make end fittings for. Keep it simple. Keeping it inexpensive isn't bad either. (g)
Old 01-16-2009
Telstar 28

Very wise advice for almost anything on a sailboat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I'd probably stay with the wire rope. I wouldn't use anything though that, I myself couldn't splice or was known for being difficult to splice or make end fittings for. Keep it simple. Keeping it inexpensive isn't bad either. (g)

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-16-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Looks like I am going with the stainless steel cable. I guess there is no reason to experiment when the tried and true route is cheaper!