Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
You'll find nearly every buyer is MORE than happy with Cat-Direct. I strongly urge you call them if you want instructions. You might find they know WAY more than you'd think. Many of Catalina models go through minor-revisions over each model year. These guys know them (mostly) and can steer you towards the right part or at least keep you from buying the wrong part. I highly recommend them, and still deal with them today... In fact they will likely be helping me slowly refit my entire boat this winter (already started my purchases, and got them quick).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
How about having it shipped to a P.O. box in a border town and bringing it across yourself? I've bought stuff at chandlerys across the border and it was no different than any other purchase coming back. I've never had to pay brokerage on any internet purchases either including $1K of tires when FedEx delivered them here.
Absolutely... there's a postal service in Blaine that serves Canadians almost exclusively.. you avoid all cross border shipping charges.

For example last year I had to send a Max prop to PYI in Everett - UPS and FedEx wanted $400 for overnight service.. drove it to Blaine and did it for $20..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-17-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Catalina direct also have a lot of hard-to-find stuff that is not catalina-specific. (I'm looking at a mast base plate to use on my Bristol 27)
Old 12-31-2013

Zenobia2011 is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina Direct

Catalina Direct did not honor my order. After several e-mails advising me that the order would be shipped they never followed through. After 4 months I was told that the cost of the part had doubled. Then, that it was not longer available. Recently they republished the part under a different number but at double the cost. Defficient customer support. I dealt in the past with Catalina Florida branch and their customer service was superb.
Old 01-01-2014

DearPrudence is on a distinguished road

My experiences with them has been first rate. The exact part for your boat shipped promptly. Highly recommended!

Jeff
Old 01-01-2014

Dfok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearPrudence View Post
My experiences with them has been first rate. The exact part for your boat shipped promptly. Highly recommended!

Jeff
AGREED - I've had nothing but outstanding service from Catalina Direct over the years. I am pleased to recommend them heartily.

and Happy New Year to all too!
Old 01-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I ordered several times from them and was generally happy. I did have an issue with a "pre-drilled" mast step that wasn't actually drilled to fit my boat. When I called about it, the support guys laughed and said they were surprised that ANY of the holes actually lined up because of the way Catalina sourced their mast steps. This was kind of annoying, because I bought the pre-drilled trying to avoid having to drill them out. Other than that one issue, though, I was pleased with them and the quality of the stuff they sold. Even that mast step seemed nicely made, despite me having to modify it.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in "reviews" by someone with only one post, even if they have been a member for a few years.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Pretty crass to come in here just to slam a company.

My experience with Catalina Direct has been excellent, like everyone else's except for this one person's. I've also had stuff not align, but despite Catalina's high production numbers for sailboats, they're not kicking out Corollas here...they're sourcing different parts at different times and making stuff fit on the fly over a production run of 40 years, so I get it.

If I had one nit, it would be that their kits can be a little expensive compared to buying all the parts separately, but the fact that they've put the time in to make sure that everything works together correctly is valuable to me, and often worth the premium. I just need to remind myself that their business model is not the "extra value meal."

But their customer service and knowledge, especially on the 22, has been outstanding for me.
Old 01-01-2014
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAgent View Post
Anyone ever buy anything from this company? Good/Bad experience?

Thanks
Number 1 company hands down
kj3564 likes this.
Old 01-01-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My experience reflects chip's. They are a good company to deal with. The pricing on the kits is often higher than doing it yourself, but easier to work with as long as you want to rig things exactly as done by the kit. If I were designing many of the kits I would do it in a different way. I think they are more focused on the cruising sailor than the racing sailor.

Jimgo: When I bought that same mast step plate they had information on the product page telling you that you would probably need to drill new holes. That was about 2 years ago (maybe April 2012?) but that might have been later than when you bought it.

They are great for Catalina-specific products. I bought the ladder for my C-25 from them and it was a perfect fit and nicely made. It was also pretty reasonably priced compared to all of the alternatives that I could find.