Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-16-2009

MisterBilge is on a distinguished road
“Too good to be true” windlass deal?

I’ve got the boat (28’ S2) in the back yard for a re-fit b4 heading off on a coastal cruising adventure next spring (not working on it today as it’s 22 below zero!) and even though I’m a great believer in the K.I.S.S. principle, it appears they can’t give away the Lewmar V1 windlass cheap enough.
List for $2300, I’ve found it for as low as a few hundred bucks. I’ve got a lot of homework to do before pulling the trigger, but this is sure looking good to a guy born in the Truman administration who’ll be doing a lot of anchoring whilst single handing. Talk to me guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Is it new? Then go for it, if you can afford to power it and install a battery and remote charger that it is more likely than not going to require. Personally, on a boat your size, I would recommend going with a manual windlass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
At currently advertised discount prices, the V1 looks like a very good deal.

Be sure to install it with healthy-sized wire/cable. The manual isn't very helpful...doesn't even give amperage draw stats...and the table given is confusing (why combine boat size and wire-run lengths, when only wire-run length is important?). I'd use wire a size or two larger than shown in this rather crummy table.

JMO,

Bill
Old 01-17-2009

sander06 is on a distinguished road
We got a Lofrans Royal Horizontal Windlass for our 28' cutter (12,000# displacement)...

Royal Horizontal Manual Windlass

We paid a little under $700 for it after doing a lot of searching. I wouldn't even consider an electric on a 27' boat. Too much hassle and definitely unreliable compared to a manual.
Old 01-17-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I was pleasantly suprised at the relative ease of raising our 45 lb anchor on 10mm chain with a manual windlass. I was sure I wanted an electric when we bought the boat.

With this 'bargain' windlass, are you getting what you pay for?
Old 01-17-2009
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I was pleasantly suprised at the relative ease of raising our 45 lb anchor on 10mm chain with a manual windlass. I was sure I wanted an electric when we bought the boat.

With this 'bargain' windlass, are you getting what you pay for?
Looks like Lewmar is closing out a couple of windlass lines. $600 for a V1 super compact.

V1 Super Compact Stainless Steel Anchor Windlass
Hull #15
Old 01-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Probably consolidating after they bought out Simpson-Lawrence. The windlass I use is an Anchorman manual windlass, which they discontinued just before I bought mine IIRC. It's a nice windlass, for a manual one... and works quite well on my boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLnghrn View Post
Looks like Lewmar is closing out a couple of windlass lines. $600 for a V1 super compact.

V1 Super Compact Stainless Steel Anchor Windlass

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
MB,

I'm going to offer my 2 cents and suggest that you consider going with an electric windlass, rather than a manual. I offer 3 reasons for this recommendation.

1. You indicate that you will be doing a lot of single-handed sailing. The most dangerous time for any sailor is when he leaves the safety of his cockpit and goes out on deck. Going up to the bow to handle the anchor in rough weather can be a nightmare. With an electric windlass you can safely deploy and retrieve your anchor without having to go forward.

2. Given the size of the boat (27 ft.) and your cruising area, it is unlikely that you will be using all chain. You will most likely use a smaller-sized anchor and line, with a 10 ft, chain rode. You won't need a heavy-duty windlass to raise this combination. Muscle power will work just fine if you choose not to install a windlass.

3. As your engine will most likely be running when you engage your electric windlass, you'll put minimal stress on your battery bank.

I have owned two boats (25 and 35 ft.) on which I mounted electric windlasses. Both vessels had just starting and house batteries and I never suffered any electrical issues.

Finally, my present boat, a Hunter 30, has no place to install a windlass, so I must use muscle power. As I single hand most of the time, I do not enjoy having to go up to the bow to do the anchoring. I feel quite vulnerable out there. I would love to be able to install an electric windlass so I could just pick my spot, drop the hook, let out enough scope, and set the anchor, all at the push of a button. Seems like a smart and safe way to do things.

P.S. I'm also a Truman-era baby.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.