Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-19-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
I waited all summer for the X-5, Raymarine kept delaying the release so I gave up and got the S1. I've never used an autopilot before, but the S1 seems pretty solid to me. It really increases the enjoyment I get out of sailing especially since I'm solo a lot of the time ... got it linked to my GPS which is really nice. Seems plenty powerful for my 30ft boat. Issues I've had so far -- a couple times the autopilot has suddenly stopped tracking a course without warning, and the autopilot's compass doesn't match my boat's compass despite calibration (could be a mounting location problem).

Installing the rudder sensor didn't bother me that much, from what I understand having a rudder sensor is a good thing ... should increase the accuracy of the autopilot (it's still available for the X-5 as an upgrade, and IIRC the better Raymarine autopilots will still include the rudder sensor). The toughest part for me was removing the wheel, it was really stuck on, had to buy a gear puller. Here is my mount for the rudder position sensor, just took a little bit of planning (Halekai AKA Maine Sail's posts helped me out for inspiration):
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Pilot Raymarine X5 Wheel Pilot-rudder-port_1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
The S1 is a lot more reliable than the belt-driven ST3000 it replaced. Since I mostly single-hand with company, it comes in real handy to have it to take the helm while I trim sails or other duty. It integrates with my Raymarine GPS/plotter, which also lets me set the most direct course over a long haul. The installation of the RPS wasn't a big deal. There was a support for the steering system nearby to which the stationery component was mounted. We're pleased.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2009

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
defender has the x-5 in stock
Old 01-24-2009

bene305 is on a distinguished road
DO you know where the X-5 will be available at 1250$ CAN? Is it this week?
Old 01-25-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I have a contact who is a Raymarine installer. I think he gets them out the back door of Raymarine directly. Drop me a pm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-28-2009

bene305 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I can't send you a PM, I think I'm to new to this forum......
Old 01-29-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bene305 View Post
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I can't send you a PM, I think I'm to new to this forum......
Yep you need 10 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-30-2009

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
S1 upgrade - FYI

I bought an S1 last summer, but I have not installed it yet, as it requires the rudder sensor. I asked Raymarine about upgrading it and they said if I sent back the main controller and $400 they would upgrade the S1 to the X-5, without the need for the rudder sensor.

I got the S1 on sale and I think the rudder sensor is probably a good idea, things work better with feedback. So I did not follow up on their offer. My biggest problem is that the boat is in NC and I am still working in NJ. So, someday soon I will get to it.
Old 02-04-2009

hutch5151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hutch5151
x-5 Autopilot

I just helped a friend install the x-5 on his Benetau 35s5. Installation was a breeze, really no different than the S-1 except the omission of the rudder sensor.
The real test of any wheel pilot is it's ability to hold course in a following sea. We took his boat out in 20-25 knot winds and 4-5 foot following seas. the x-5 held the boat every bit as well as my older s-1 system with linear drive and rudder sensor. I was really impressed with the "learn" function of the course computer. The first few yaws were a little excess, but the computer kicked in the on each succesive yaw, and the steering was more precise as we went.

I am seriously considering buying the upgrade to my s-1 course computer to include the yaw sensors. They really work.

The X-5 wheelpilot is definetly an improvement over the S-1 and the installation is easier and cost as low.
Old 02-27-2009

acolette is on a distinguished road
NMEA 2000 works well

I was unhappy that NMEA 2000 is never mentioned in any technical document either shipped with or currently available on the web site. The marketing brochure says it supports it, but you never see another mention of it.
Raymarine support told me to just cut off an NMEA 2000 cable and hard wire it to the SeatalkNG connections. Apparently SeatalkNG is a superset of the NMEA protocol with proprietary connectors.
My Lowrance display, GPS and DSC radio all magically began communicating over the NMEA 2000 network with zero configuration.

Installation was simple and it work great. Raymarine just needs to accept that proprietary networks are a thing of the past and embrace it.