Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It'd be nice if they included a pigtail or adapter instead of having to have you hack up a perfectly good cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolette View Post
I was unhappy that NMEA 2000 is never mentioned in any technical document either shipped with or currently available on the web site. The marketing brochure says it supports it, but you never see another mention of it.
Raymarine support told me to just cut off an NMEA 2000 cable and hard wire it to the SeatalkNG connections. Apparently SeatalkNG is a superset of the NMEA protocol with proprietary connectors.
My Lowrance display, GPS and DSC radio all magically began communicating over the NMEA 2000 network with zero configuration.

Installation was simple and it work great. Raymarine just needs to accept that proprietary networks are a thing of the past and embrace it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2009
Swabby

JustineIII is on a distinguished road
Question Is S1+E12101 > X-5?

Hmmmmm...

Now that you can buy the S1 plus the Gyro for a total price roughly equal to the X-5, which of those packages makes the better pilot? Is the S1 more powerful? I am thoroughly confused by the statistics pointed previously in this thread

S1 --- 18,700 lbs
X-5 --- 16,5000 lbs

If both pilots use "basically the same drive unit," then what accounts for the difference in displacement rating? A real difference in the power of the units, or just a re-evaluation by Raymarine?

Clearly the X-5 is quicker to install without the rudder sensor, but if you go to the trouble of installing the rudder sensor, will an S1 with both rudder sensor and Gyro work better than an X-5? Why or why not?

How can we find out?

Y.
Old 06-02-2009

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Sorry for digging up an (oldish) thread, but just took my boat out for the first time since installing the X5 and figured I'd add to this one rather then start a new one.

Here are my observations/notes

Installation was really easy. Hardest part I had was passing the wires through my pedestal guard, as there was already a bunch of wires going through it and not much space left. Aside from that no issues. I also manged to connect my Navman Wind instrument via NMEA with no issues, which was nice since this one doesn't seem to be too popular a brand. (It came with the boat )

Overall installation time (and I'm no professional) was about 4-5 hours, at least 3 of which was spent passing cables through the pedestal guard.

Once my boat was in the water I performed the dockside calibration. I then took off for my marina which is about 4-5 hours away from where I store the boat in the winter. The manual says you need to perform a seatrial to calibrate the unit before oporation, and since 3/4 of my trip was in a river without enough room to do it, I planned on steering manually the entire way. The forecast for the day called for 15-20 knots of wind from the west (I was heading south) climbing to 25 knots in the afternoon. Waves around 3 feet at times. Unfortunately my only crew was my 12 year old little brother who has no sailing experience and my boat isn't really set up for single-handed sailing so I decided to motor the entire way

Like I said I had planned to steer by hand the whole way since I couldn't do the "at sea" calibration where you swing the compass, let the course computer learn your boats handling etc. Out of curiosity I decided to try and use the autopilot anyways, (at low speed) "just to see", figuring it would only take a second to disengage if it did something wrong. Well, even though it hadn't yet gone through autolearn and the compass was about 130 degrees off my actual course, it worked like a charm! Even with the boat rocking through the beam seas it kept us on course without any issues what-so-ever. I ended up using the autopilot almost the entire trip, just making adjustments to my course through the autopilot display.

I'd be totally happy with the units performance as is. I can only wait to see how well it will work when it's actually configured!

Anyways, that's my review so far, cya later!
Old 06-02-2009
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Tommy - thanks for the post. I'm actually having my yard do the install of my X-5 along with the remote SmartController in the next couple of weeks. Shouldn't have the wiring issues as I'm forgoing the pedestal mount and mounting the display unit down by the engine guages. Your install time estimates are appreciated as I'll be pinning those guys down on their estimate to install.

Tartan 28
Peregrine

Old 06-02-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Any response to the question about differing power of S1 and X5. I'm in the autopilot market and my Gulf 32 is right near the edge of #16,500. If the S1 is stronger, that would be good for me probably.

Curious.

Old 11-15-2009

tackdriver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Any response to the question about differing power of S1 and X5. I'm in the autopilot market and my Gulf 32 is right near the edge of #16,500. If the S1 is stronger, that would be good for me probably.

Curious.
I've got the x-5 and it is not strong. I've wrecked two gearboxes on it in 4 months. The software is great, and I have no complaints about that part of it, but the drive does NOT handle the quoted displacement. It would be OK on a much smaller boat. I've found one other person who has posted the same issue. There is also problems with the motor housing, a Raymarine tech admitted this to me on the phone, mine fell to pieces in addition to the gearbox issues and I've seen other units with the same problems.
The drive unit is under engineered and I wouldn't be putting it on your boat.
cheers
JMB
Old 11-26-2009

zephyrgeek is on a distinguished road
Smile Good success with the ST-400Mk2

FYI, I've used the ST-4000 MK2 to sail from the Chesapeake Bay to Sydney Australia in 3 years, and it worked great. I had a windvane on board too, but after the Atlantic I never used it, the ST-4000 was that reliable. Used the Raymarine full time all the way to Australia. I had an electronics failure in the Atlantic at the same time a number of other electronics failed in a gale, so it probably was a transient or something. It was fixed in a couple of hours in St Maarten. (I like the availability of parts and service!). The wheel drive, the same I believe as used on the X-5, lasted all the way to Australia. However once here for a year, I found the outer plastic bearing ring inside the wheel unit to have broken. It was OK when I arrived. I purchased a replacement from Whitworths, a chandlery here locally, so it's now good as new. I carry a spare AP, but other than that transient issue have not used it.
Now I'm thinking of upgrading to one with a gyro, the X-5. I'd like the gyro feature, as I could not use the rudder sensor. I believe on the whole the drive should work OK if it is the same. I did have a problem with the clutch handle loosening up and not staying engaged. A bungee fixed that. It may have been a loose screw in retrospect. I've also had a ham-fisted crewmember break the clutch eccentric wheel, but again replacement parts were readily available. Carry spares! I agree that the drive could be more robust, but I saw several bigger APs on the trip with more problems, I have to say. They also eat more current. I sail a Kennex 380 38' catamaran.
Old 11-26-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I did an x-5 wheel pilot install a few months ago on a Catalina 36 for a Dr. in San Fran. This system is extremely well laid out and, thanks to the lack of rudder feedback sensor, there's no agony over the mechanics ordinarilly involved. The biggest problem I had was burying the fluxgate compass in a convenient invisible location, and bringing switched 12V to the unit from the DC control panel. I think I had only about 6 hours total including sea trial. I should say that this was a minimal installation in that there was no networking involved. The sea trial worked out well too. The "learn" feature is way cool and can deliver a really smooth AP all by itself without further refinement though some tweaking will always be necessary...."sensitivity", for instance. I found the unit to be fairly "hyper" or jittery until I turned the response down a little, but that's all.
Here, the bay is a great place to do a sea trial, by the way...you can do the compass deviation swing and learn routines in the morning calm and the pilot will get a real workout in 20-25 kn just a little later.
I was impressed enough to decide on this unit for my Ericson 35.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 01-26-2011

douwefokkema is on a distinguished road
I found the X-5 very instable on waves, the unit reacts heavily on the rolling of the yacht. see my YouTube: watch?v=czikxpzYjVI
Raymarine X-5 vs Navico TP30 Comparison
Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Before condemning the unit, have you played with the gain and auto-correction settings on the autopilot. Most autopilots have some problems with heavy waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwefokkema View Post
I found the X-5 very instable on waves, the unit reacts heavily on the rolling of the yacht. see my YouTube: watch?v=czikxpzYjVI
Raymarine X-5 vs Navico TP30 Comparison

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.