Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-26-2011

douwefokkema is on a distinguished road
I have really tried all settings of rudder gain and response. Lower settings will result in an off-course alarm, then the unit will continue to pump the helm on every wave but will not apply helm to stay on course. The problem is that the sensitivity of the gyro is far too large and can not be adjusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We currently use an S-1 with a rudder sensor rather than a gyro.. previously had the ST4000 - neither control well in a seaway, esp with a lively,responsive boat.

We use ours to stay on course for dousing/setting sail, and for long motoring legs. If we're sailing I like to steer - and can do a much better job.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2011

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
I had teh Raymarine Smart Pilot installed last summer, and everything works as expected, except once in a while when the weather is hot. Then the unit shuts down without warning. I can put it back on, but it keeps shutting off.
When things cool down later in the day/evening, it's fine. Oonly happens when th etemp is over about 85degs.
Must be something wrong with the wiring, but I can't figure it out, and neither can the yard. Any ideas?
Old 07-04-2011

Skipper26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor25b View Post
I had teh Raymarine Smart Pilot installed last summer, and everything works as expected, except once in a while when the weather is hot. Then the unit shuts down without warning. I can put it back on, but it keeps shutting off.
When things cool down later in the day/evening, it's fine. Oonly happens when th etemp is over about 85degs.
Must be something wrong with the wiring, but I can't figure it out, and neither can the yard. Any ideas?
I have installed my X5 today and I had exactly the same problem, it would not stay in AUTO and go to STANDBY wihout any reason or warning. Once it happens it is not always possible to set to AUTO again. It would sometimes go to START UP message and hangs there.

I suspected electrical problem at first, replaced power wires with heavier wire, added ferrites on power and network wire, on both ends, added grounding wire (heavy braid).

The system started working. I thought I had it fixed, until I saw your post.

Come to think of it now after reading your post, by the time I was done it was almost 7 p.m. and temperature had come down from 85 to about 70. No wonder, if it is temperature related, it is quite possible that all the wires and ferrites were not useful.

I will see if it does it again, if it does I will take the board out and set it up on a bench and blow hot air at each component separately.

You can tell when the system "goes to sleep" - the two indicator lights next to the processor start flashing regularly. Normally they are either off when in "normal" standby, or flashing sporadically when the motor engages.
Old 07-07-2011
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Well... Looks like my Gyro's on the course computer crapped out on mine after 20 or so hours of use.

*grumble* just off the phone with the guys at Raymarine in NH. I'll have to send back the old one for repair... 7-10 day turn-around.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2011
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Ouch. No fun.

I installed the unit at the beginning of last season.

No complaints. Installation was as reported and functions as indicated.

It is a wheel pilot, so can get overwhelmed by heavy weather helm. Tells me I have too much sail flying.

It did start to get noisier towards the end of last season. I flushed the wheel unit with fresh water (as per the instructions) which quieted it.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 07-02-2012

mariner0822 is on a distinguished road
Re: Smart Pilot Raymarine X5 Wheel Pilot

Installed the X5 on my 27 ft Catalina. Installation alright to do.
Installed fluxgate compass where old st 4000 compass was installed approx. 3 feet from engine.
Did numerous swing checks and get no deviation response.
Installed computer on quarter berth wall, engine side. Some vibration there.

Need help to determine what is wrong.

Autopilot works even w/o compass calibration.
Old 07-02-2012

Skipper26 is on a distinguished road

When I installed this same unit on my boat I also had a hard time swinging the compass, had to wait for perfect "flat" conditions and even then it takes a lot of patience, at least 4 circles if not more, and you cannot rush it, if you get "reduce speed" message you have to start it all over.

It helps to make larger circles.

By the way, to follow up on my post above, it turned out defective board, Raymarine support were most helpful and replaced it at no charge, now autopilot works regardless of air temperature.

It is a very useful gadget, except may be when running in a following sea, it has a bit of problem keeping course. On all other points it works great.
Old 07-02-2012

mariner0822 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, talked to RM and they wanted me to check a few things.
By the way, made at least 15 swings w/o any comment except "keep turning"
Old 07-02-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner0822 View Post
Thanks, talked to RM and they wanted me to check a few things.
By the way, made at least 15 swings w/o any comment except "keep turning"

We're you in..

CALM water
Turning at close to 3 degrees per second
Above 2 knots but below 5
Did you confirm the compass swings 360 before entering sea trial set up

If the compass is not swinging a full 360 degrees, even before you calibrate it, you may have a bad flux gate. I've had a few bad right out of the box... Raymarine can give you the test procedure for Ohms readings.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.