SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contractor Fee's

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Rockter 
#1 ·
I just read a memo from my marina stating as of 2009, that any contractor who comes to work on my boat has to either pay a hourly fee of $15.00 or a yearly fee of $250.00. As far as I am concerned the just about locks out anyone other than the in house maint. people who do various boat job's at the marina.
Do anyone out there have a marina that charges outside boat contractor a fee?
Mike

#2 ·
It depends on how much business the outside contractor has. If he's going to be there more than a single week, the $250 for the year is chicken feed. That's less than a buck a day. :) It's a scheme by your marina to drive more work to their in-house maintenance people...and a bit of rip-off IMHO... but they're allowed to do it if they want to. If you really have a problem with them doing that...vote using your feet and move your boat to a marina with a different, more reasonable policy.

#3 ·
Yep.
You have to get permission from the Marina to use anybody that is not already on their approved list and any outside work has an additional fee that the contractor has to pay the marina. The Contractor than passes that along to the boat owner.

Just another way for them (The Marina) to make sure you use thier labor before getting any work done on your boat.

#4 ·
Yep.
You have to get permission from the Marina to use anybody that is not already on their approved list and any outside work has an additional fee that the contractor has to pay the marina. The Contractor than passes that along to the boat owner.

Just another way for them (The Marina) to make sure you use thier labor before getting any work done on your boat.
Yup, same thing here. The Marina wants 10% of the bill. When the marina put this in effect they said they were losing revenue to outside contractors. The funny thing is most of the time the outside contractors are preforming work the marina staff can't and contractors are quicker getting to it.

#5 ·
It's the work that the in house people can't do that makes me Pi**ed. Like having someone scrape the bottom of the boat. I can get it done for about $40.00 and there's no fuss at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the spring time brings.

Mike

#6 ·
Well with all the new EPA rules all the cleaning and painting has become or will real soon the number one PITA for all yards

Because its OK for god knows what to run off a parking lot every time it rains BUT everything on your boat is now haz-mat

#7 · (Edited)
Jeez does the mafia run some of these marinas? My marina doesn't skim off the top of my contractors as far as I know, if they did I'd have a serious problem with it. I'm paying for that slip it's my own damn business who I have come in and work on it, if it's not harming the marina property or other tenants then they should keep their hands out of my pockets. I could understand a flat fee for bottom cleaning that went towards environmental cleanup but not a straight-up skim scheme. I wonder if this is even legal. Definitely abusive.

#12 ·
Thought I would dig up a thread regarding marina policies.

I am not complaining, but I just thought of this the other day, (and I see in my own response above, that I said they can pretty much do what ever they want.)

I just found it frustrating considering the current economic times and also considering the current state of my check book...... I just received my bill for my upcoming mooring, standard terms 10 days.

Well, why am I paying in February what I can't use until the middle of April.???? It sure would be nice to have that money in my pocket for eight weeks rather than their pockets.

Like I said, I understand, its in the contract and if I want to I can leave, just a quick vent, thats all.

#13 ·
At least they provide specific rules, which (if contractor abides by them) are presumably all that is needed for access.

I was at a marina a long time ago, where a somewhat "excentric" (putting it nicely) owner decided which contractors could and could not come on any given day pretty much at random. So you hire a guy, start a job - and the next day "he can't be here anymore".

Still, I think if they set this sort of policy, it is worth asking them to make sure they CAN provide every type of service you may need. OR make exception for services they are unable to provide.

#14 ·
I was recently slip-shopping for something on the Chesapeake. I came across a few that had similar policies, and some that didn't (but all required proof of insurance for outside contractors and their signature agreeing to their safety/environmental policies).

A 10% surcharge was typical of those that did, I think. I found it highly irritating.

I selected a marina that doesn't add surcharges. Vote with your feet.

#15 ·
If the contractor is working on their property, using electricity and water that you would not be using because you are at work earning to pay for the contractor then the yard is just looking to make a buck.

Nice how I twisted that isn't it. Still the point is germane, it's not a charity, it's a business and that's a revenue stream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.