Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-20-2009

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
Contractor Fee's

I just read a memo from my marina stating as of 2009, that any contractor who comes to work on my boat has to either pay a hourly fee of $15.00 or a yearly fee of $250.00. As far as I am concerned the just about locks out anyone other than the in house maint. people who do various boat job's at the marina.
Do anyone out there have a marina that charges outside boat contractor a fee?
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on how much business the outside contractor has. If he's going to be there more than a single week, the $250 for the year is chicken feed. That's less than a buck a day. It's a scheme by your marina to drive more work to their in-house maintenance people...and a bit of rip-off IMHO... but they're allowed to do it if they want to. If you really have a problem with them doing that...vote using your feet and move your boat to a marina with a different, more reasonable policy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Yep.
You have to get permission from the Marina to use anybody that is not already on their approved list and any outside work has an additional fee that the contractor has to pay the marina. The Contractor than passes that along to the boat owner.

Just another way for them (The Marina) to make sure you use thier labor before getting any work done on your boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-20-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Yep.
You have to get permission from the Marina to use anybody that is not already on their approved list and any outside work has an additional fee that the contractor has to pay the marina. The Contractor than passes that along to the boat owner.

Just another way for them (The Marina) to make sure you use thier labor before getting any work done on your boat.

Yup, same thing here. The Marina wants 10% of the bill. When the marina put this in effect they said they were losing revenue to outside contractors. The funny thing is most of the time the outside contractors are preforming work the marina staff can't and contractors are quicker getting to it.

Never Forgotten

Old 01-20-2009

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
It's the work that the in house people can't do that makes me Pi**ed. Like having someone scrape the bottom of the boat. I can get it done for about $40.00 and there's no fuss at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the spring time brings.

Mike
Old 01-20-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEMCKEE View Post
It's the work that the in house people can't do that makes me Pi**ed. Like having someone scrape the bottom of the boat. I can get it done for about $40.00 and there's no fuss at all. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the spring time brings.

Mike

Well with all the new EPA rules all the cleaning and painting has become or will real soon the number one PITA for all yards

Because its OK for god knows what to run off a parking lot every time it rains BUT everything on your boat is now haz-mat

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-20-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Jeez does the mafia run some of these marinas? My marina doesn't skim off the top of my contractors as far as I know, if they did I'd have a serious problem with it. I'm paying for that slip it's my own damn business who I have come in and work on it, if it's not harming the marina property or other tenants then they should keep their hands out of my pockets. I could understand a flat fee for bottom cleaning that went towards environmental cleanup but not a straight-up skim scheme. I wonder if this is even legal. Definitely abusive.

Last edited by FishFinder; 01-20-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
As far as I know, ours only requires the contractor to provide a proof of insurance, as of now!
Old 01-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFinder View Post
I'm paying for that slip it's my own damn business who I have come in and work on it
All your doing is renting space from a private company or individual. They can put what ever they want to in the contract.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-20-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFinder View Post
Jeez does the mafia run some of these marinas? My marina doesn't skim off the top of my contractors as far as I know, if they did I'd have a serious problem with it. I'm paying for that slip it's my own damn business who I have come in and work on it, if it's not harming the marina property or other tenants then they should keep their hands out of my pockets. I could understand a flat fee for bottom cleaning that went towards environmental cleanup but not a straight-up skim scheme. I wonder if this is even legal. Definitely abusive.
A lot of marinas on the East Coast are more than just marinas, as we know them here. They are really boat yards that offer marina facilities. Here on the West Coast, most boat yards and marinas are separate entities, both financially and geographically. But back East, outside service providers may actually be competing with the marina to provide services, which generally doesn't happen here.

That being said, as a marine service provider, I can tell you that if I were faced with having to pony up to the marina just to be on thier property, servicing their tenant, you can bet that cost is going to get passed right along to the customer.