Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhaller View Post
For a real newb; what is meant by 2 over 3?
I don't mean to speak for PDP, but I believe he means 3 coats of Cetol followed by 2 coats of Cetol Gloss.

Just to balance out things a bit. I love Cetol. The Cetol Natural (I think it's called) looks just fine to me. None of the orange tint the old stuff had:

My washboards newly Cetol'ed last spring:

before:

after:
Old 01-22-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
I for one have a lot of bright work on deck and love it. I use Deks Olje. I originally laid up a six layer finish using foam brushes and every year brightened up with another layer in the Spring. It looked beautiful until last year (after seven years) when it began to lift in a couple of places. I got out the heat gun and took it all off and experimented with an oil finish last summer and had to recoat every month or so and it only looked good for a couple of weeks at a time. I'm going back to Deks Olje this Spring when the weather improves. It goes on easily and looks great.

ps I think Cetol looks bad!
I also have a lot of teak (Tayana 37) and don't want to spend the summers doing brightwork. I've used cetol for the past 10 years or so and last year I got out the old heat gun and scrapper. I've had good luck with the stuff except after a number of years the build up turns to a brown poop color. I've switched to cetol natural and it looks great. Only a maintainence coat once a year thereafter. I'm concerned about the buildup even with the natural and plan on doing a little more sanding this spring rather than just hitting it with a scotch pad like I've done in the past. On the cockpit teak I'm using a semco natural oil and it too is holding up fine. One final note on the cetol is that the gloss clear finish is also available and my thoughts were to maybe use this finish to limit the dark color build up. However speaking with my neighbor here at the marina, I find that the clear gloss finish is what he has been using for the past 4 years and again that awful brown color is on his boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately I have done a lot of brightwork refinishing in the past. That's why I don't have a wood boat anymore. A couple of great books have been written on the subject by Rebecca J. Wittman

-- brightwork.us --

Personally, if at all possible, I've used a sharp scraper and a heat gun if the refinishing is on a relatively flat surface. You've got to be paying attention not to burn the wood under the old finish. It's the quickest way to take old varnish off. If the finish is still in one piece with no blistering, lightly sand it and refinish with several coats of fresh varnish.
Old 01-22-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
I don't mean to speak for PDP, but I believe he means 3 coats of Cetol followed by 2 coats of Cetol Gloss.

Just to balance out things a bit. I love Cetol. The Cetol Natural (I think it's called) looks just fine to me. None of the orange tint the old stuff had:

My washboards newly Cetol'ed last spring:

before:

after:

Your hatch boards look great!
Old 01-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
I don't mean to speak for PDP,
No, please do and thank you, I tend to post and run, so I miss questions asked.

BTW: hatch boards look nice

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-22-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Deks Olje has apparently been discontinued by it's parent company. I guess you will have to think about using Bristol Finish or Honey Teak in the future.
Deks Olje Teak Oil Wood Finish

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Well dang!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 01-27-2009

guyrj is on a distinguished road
Buy the book.
The Art of Finishing Wood. The Brightwork Companion. by Rebecca Whitman.
Old 01-27-2009

cvh is on a distinguished road
Neophyte Varnisher

The first time we had to do any teak work on our boat, I happened on the a book by Rebecca J. Wittman; " Brightwork; The Art of Finishing Wood" ISBN # 0-877-42-984-7. Besides being a beautiful "coffee table book", and a guide to all finishes for exterior and interior wood, the author's style of writing makes it a good read.

We have exterior teak rails and trim that we use Cetol on, and are very happy with the look and length of time between touch ups/ redoings.

Our interior teak was unfinished, simply oiled. Using Rebecca's suggestion of sanding oil into the wood we now have a "hand rubbed finish" on all our interior teak that rivals the finish on fine furniture. People who visit our boat can't believe it's not varnished. Yearly touch ups are simple, I just wipe the wood down with a very light coat of oil.

My favorite teak oil is Daely's "Seafin" oil, produced by 2 brothers in Seattle.

Good Luck!
Old 01-27-2009

neilmcg is on a distinguished road
Smile No varnish needed

On my catalina30 I removed ALL wood except for the tiller and bowsprit and replaced it with white polyethelene - that's the stuff that's called Starboard, the stuff that those nice perch seats are made of- I bought the basic material at a Plastic wholesaler who cut exactly the the gross pieces I needed, then took them homes and machined them into exact replicas. It takes a special glue for this type of plastic but I reinforced "el" shaped pieces with screws. I replaced all hand holds with the one inch stainless tubing so now my 1978 cat 30 now lookss like a 2008 Cat "300". I now spend the free time sailing. Neil in San Diego

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.