Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-20-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Tacktick T033 Feedback?

This is a new product for Tacktick - a wireless masthead wind instrument and a display hardwired to 12v source (vs. solar displace costing about $500 more). Comments?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt anyone has any experience with it as it is new. However, I have the older, wireless TackTick gear on my boat and have been very happy with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Saildog. Hey, what's your home port - there's a Telstar 28 in mine...just wondering.
Old 01-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm up in Buzzards Bay, MA.... I know whose boat you're thinking of though.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-22-2009
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I doubt anyone has any experience with it as it is new. However, I have the older, wireless TackTick gear on my boat and have been very happy with it.
SD, surprisingly I met a couple of cruisers crossing the puddle and they were not happy with TackTick. Both their units lost all, or partial display, one was on his third set since leaving the Med. Replaced each time under warranty. I like the concept but is this just a problem with all LED displays. My Navman units in the cockpit have lost the led displays but the information is still available and I now read that info by using the repeater, which I relocated to the cockpit.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-22-2009
Telstar 28

Simon—

The TackTick displays are LCD, not LED. I haven't had a problem with mine, but mine are installed in a much more protected location than most, as you can see in this photo.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-22-2009
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
SD, sorry my bad, I ment LCD i have been reading the LED stuff to much.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-22-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Tacktic had problems early on with displays fogging, but that seems to have been fixed AFAIK. We've had the wireless setup for two seasons, and find it really convenient, since we put the displays anywhere we like with double-stick velcro tape. We have had problems with the windspeed sender unit not registering with the displays and going dead on occasion. This may be partly due to masthead visits by protected waterfowl species. We are getting that unit replaced under warrantee now that the mast is down. Otherwise, the displays are legible at a good distance, bright enough to see at night, and versatile as to the range of information and what is shown on each display.
Old 01-22-2009
Telstar 28

One advantage of the TackTick wind displays, and that is probably the same with the wired unit, is that the wind unit can either display wind direction or be setup to display close-hauled wind angles only. This can help with fine-tuning the sail trim if you're into racing.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-19-2009

svamulet is on a distinguished road
Question Tacktick T033

Their website says only for boats under 35', doesn't say why! Is the masthead unit the same as the T120? I found the info on their website, including the user manuals which I downloaded and their FAQ's written in a demeaning manner figuring we're all too dumb to understand technicalities. My mast head is 58' from the intended display position (my boat is over 35' but what does that matter!) anyone know if the T033 will work over that distance? I prefer the simpler (+ cheaper) T033 system to the T101 system since I prefer to provide constant power from my boat electrical system, not rely on an internal battery that will eventually go bad and not be user serviceable. I plan to mount the display in a protected area away from the sun.