Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-21-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Garmin Chartplotters

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have Garmin 4200 series chartplotters and 4k radar.

I'm thinking of adding the 4208 to my boat this winter. Based on conversations with the Garmin and Raymarine folks at Annapolis this year it seems like you're getting more bang for you buck with the Garmin.

I know there were some weather seal issues with older Garmins, but they claim those problems were fixed with the new units. So how about it? Do you guys like your Garmins? Would you recommend them? Any quirks on installation?

Thanks in advance,
Jim McGee
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal
Maple Shade, NJ

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2009
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Garmin 3205

Jim,

I have a Garmin 3205 GPS Chartplotter mounted on a pedestal at the wheel of my boat (in the hot sun and cold rain). It is interfaced with Raymarine transducers via NMEA 0183 protocol.

It is not the 4200 of interest to you, but may be of consequence that it has been, "rock solid" in performance and dependability for 2-seasons and counting. It replaced a first generation GPS WAAS Raymarine chartplotter that died due to coax failure.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Old 01-21-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
very happy so far with my 3210
Old 01-21-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Check out Maine Sails posts on this thread:
Real world experiences using radar -- how far can your radar really "see"? MARPA?
Old 01-21-2009

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Inherited 4212 with my new-to-me boat in the fall and use it with radar - like it quite a bit. very intuitive to use. with the large screen it draws more current than i would like. i think i would rather the 4208.
Old 01-22-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
If you're ever going to go to the Bahamas do not get a Raymarine. Their electronic charts of the Bahamas (Navionics) are the worst I've ever seen. Lots of geo-referencing errors. Anchor on the leeward side of the Exumas and it shows you out in Exuma Sound. Garmin now has Explorer Charts which are excellent. Navionics newest chip is worse than the older ones because they were required to remove some proprietary data they had "borrowed". If you're only sailing in the US Raymarine is ok as they all use the free NOAA chart data. Navionics is not responsive to customers sending info re errors. They will not tell you if the errors have been corrected in the latest release. Just buy it and find out!! Money down the drain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Vasco...you are absolutely correct. ONLY Garmin bluechart and CMap based plotters use the Explorer charts as base maps...and Explorer charts are the only ones that can be relied on in the Bahamas.
Old 01-22-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Garmin 4212

I have a Garmin 4212 (12" Non-Touchscreen). It is one of the best I have used, and a major improvement over the 3200 series (which I had before).

I added the Garmin Vision card for Chesapeake Bay, but my opinion is that price is too high for the features I use.

The chartplotter is interfaced via NMEA 0183 to my Raymarine pilot and I am satisfied with the performance.

One area where I think the Garmin falls short is in the overall graphic processing. While the charts are clear and intuitive, zoom and panning redraw performance could be better.

I do not have radar.

Jason
Old 01-24-2009

Thanks for the input everyone.

Jason, I looked at the "Vision" upgrade and didn't think I'd use the features either.

Cruising World did a chartplotter roundup a few months back and they noted that the Garmin plotters draw more juice than the Raymarine plotters. For now I don't expect that to be an issue as I'm cruising the Jersey Shore and Chesapeake Bay so I won't be too many days out without plugging in the shore power cord.

As for the Bahamas. Well that's a dream cruise that is at least a couple of years off. The previous owner cruised this boat there and I'd love to take her back.

Jim
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-24-2009

Camaraderie, I just read through the thread you linked to. Good discussion, MaineSail's experience confirmed what I'd read elsewhere. thanks.

Jim
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.