Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2009

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
Toe Rails Sanded Smooth - Now What?

My 06 Beneteau 423's toe rails were in terrible shape. While I don't think the PO ever oiled them, they look like they've been cleaned with a stiff brush for years. I decided to sand them smooth, which I finished today. It took a lot of sanding, and I don't want to repeat it anytime soon. I've tried embedding a picture - We'll see if it works...

So now what to do? I was thinking of oiling them, but teak oil doesn't work very well with all of the contaminants in the air here in the Houston/Galveston area.

I'm inclined not to varnish, as it seems that there's no way to avoid water getting under the finish at the edges over time. I'm temped by Cetol, but don't know if it has problems with water getting under the edges too. And it seems to be a bear to remove if it comes to that.

Everyone around me, including my wife is saying "Leave them natural and let them go grey". I really don't mind that look (all of the teak in my cockpit is untreated), but I don't want them to end up in the same shape again. Not sure how many times I can sand off that much material!

All opinions welcomed...
Beneteau 423 #310
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't bother varnishing toe rails... the varnish or Cetol will just get beaten up when you kick it by accident...and such... so it won't last...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I'll disagree with SD ( dangerous, I know ) I would use cetol, I might go with two base coats and a min of 3 clear.

If you do mare it up, it will most likely be in the top coats, which then can be touched up with just a light sanding and a coat of clear

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-22-2009

Not sure why my image didn't upload. I put a couple of pictures in my gallery.

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/151961

No worries about water getting under Cetol and raising the finish?
Beneteau 423 #310
Old 01-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
No, no more than any other finish; I don't know how long your newly sanded toe rail has been exposed to weather, or how lon it will be before you finish it but, hit it some 120 and wipe with actone or a post sand liquid before you start the new finish (This has to do with the natural oil surfacing) and only do what you can get done in a few hours.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-22-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Why boat makers insist on using teak for a toe/rub rail on a sailboat is beyond me. I know that it can look good but I find it a very impractical material for this application. We have a teak toe rail on our 1967 Tartan 27' and the teak on our boat is constantly getting dinged and cracked not to mention requiring re-finishing. I have given up on varnish and have started using Cetol natural which looks pretty good. Other folks rave about a product called Teak Guard: TeakGuard Products - Teak Finish and Restoration Superior to Teak Oil
which I have not tried. I love the way Teak Oil makes the wood look but the finish of Teak Oil alone will barely last 1 month in the elements - requiring monthly maintenance (this is not true if the teak is inside your cabin where it will last much longer).
I have heard that there is an oil or wax that you use to keep the silvery/grey finish of teak but I have been unable to find it anywhere.
I wish my boat had a useful toe rail made of metal with the perforations in it that can be used to attach hardware - much more useful but not exactly 'attractive'. I'll take function over form any day on my boat.
Beneteau must offer the teak toe rails as an option as some owners are crazy enough to want to have to maintain it.
Good luck with your teak toe rails whichever finishing option you choose.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-22-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No worries on cetol lifting up like varnish will. You CAN get a little very localized lifting if you let it go too long but mostly it just wears off. I like (2 coats cetol natural teak + 2 coats of Cetol gloss) it because you can just lightly scuff up the gloss when it begins to wear and re touch it without needing to sand it down. If you only use CETOL and keep building up layers over time it will look ugly..but using only gloss to touch up prevents this.
Old 01-22-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
I use Epifanes. Started with 6 coats of gloss wood finish which is a fast build that does not require sanding between coats. Finished with two coats of clear high gloss varnish for a total of eight coats. Apply a maintenance coat of two coats high gloss varnish annually after that. I have a total of twelve coats now and the finish is holding up well although I live in a northern climate. Launch in late April and haul in mid Oct.
I used Cetol on my previous boat for over ten years and it stood up well . Three initial coats and then a maintenance coat annually. Does tend to build up over time and get a bit orangy. I used the new Cetol natural on my current cockpit grate and it is very close in color to the varnished wood.

Old 01-22-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Whooo! That looks fantastic! I've been wondering what to do about the teak on my Morgan - now I know - thanks.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 01-22-2009

Petmac,

Your brightwork looks exceptional!
Beneteau 423 #310