Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't believe she is talking about using it for structural items, like bulkheads... Denise is smarter than that. I believe she may be intending to make a table or other furnishings for her boat with pocket screws. There should be no problem with doing that IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluvic View Post
So it "toe-nailing" with a self tapping screw!

It looks to have a raised thread like a drywall screw.

It seems to be less about the design of the screw, and more about the jig that makes it easy to drill the counter sink hole.

I would think the question about using this to attach bulk heads would be more about using this method than this particular screw.

As for me those screws have no place on a boat...the idea of "toe-nailing" has its place...if used for attaching bulk heads I'd us a lot of screws, SS or bronze.
However, I would prefer other more robust methods that will be easier to plug the holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I don't believe she is talking about using it for structural items, like bulkheads... Denise is smarter than that. I believe she may be intending to make a table or other furnishings for her boat with pocket screws. There should be no problem with doing that IMHO.
That sounds OK...but for the money and work I'd use dowels or those football looking wafers.
Old 01-23-2009
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
In certain applications pocket screws are superior to biscuits. I agree it is more about the pocket itself and the application of use rather than the actual screw. If the SS pocket screws were way expensive I would just use a similar sized SS pan head screw.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 01-23-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
In certain applications pocket screws are superior to biscuits. I agree it is more about the pocket itself and the application of use rather than the actual screw. If the SS pocket screws were way expensive I would just use a similar sized SS pan head screw.
Biscuits....thatís the word I was looking for!

I agree soulsailor, screws may have some advantage, no clamps for one and having a real mechanical fixing that does not rely 100% on the glue could be worth while advantages.
Old 01-23-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
There are lots of woodworking joints because there are lots of applications. I like the Kreg setup for cabinet work. Once you're used to their jigs you can go pretty fast.

Biscuit joints, especially if you use two offset biscuits are surprisingly strong. But it all depends on what you're trying to do, what kind of wood you're using and what kind of environment it will live in.

Fine Woodworking did a stress test of woodworking joints a while back. You can find it on their web sites as a PDF. The results are pretty interesting if you enjoy wood butchering. taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=31926

I say use whatever tool / joint will get the job done.
Jim McGee
94 C22 Island Time
95 C30 Goin' Coastal
Maple Shade, NJ

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-23-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I confess! bought one of the K jigs today! first try gave me a perfectly drilled pocket and i joined to pieces of Marine ply in a corner joint. I was impressed!

My boat is for sale.

Old 01-23-2009

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
As with any question the answer is 'It Depends'. It depends on what your use is. I do alot of woodworking, cabinets and furniture, so if you are making something like that then yes pocket screws work very well. I would also use a polyurethane glue like Gorilla glue also unless you plan on taking it apart. Another option if you are joining corners is to use dowels and glue, or countersink screws. I would only use screws if you are using SOLID wood. If you use screws in plywood it will delaminate, maybe not at first but over time it will split between the plys.
Old 01-23-2009

Mistercraft is on a distinguished road
screws in boat building

Stainles Pocket Screws can be obtained here:

Google: McFeely's Squaredrive Scews
Old 01-24-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Right on denise030

before you get to into whatever you're building, look into Hi low screws if you are going to be working with plys and softwoods
Old 01-24-2009

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
I have used the Kreg jig on several small projects and have been very pleased. Used in conjunction with epoxy sealed/glued wood and then filling the hole with a thickened epoxy I have what appears to be a bullet proof joint. 2 years latter there are no signs of problems. David

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.