Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-23-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Installing A Wind System

I have picked up a new apparent wind and windspeed system from VMG-MARINE. It is the NASA equipment with a new name to avoid trademark infringement with a certain US space agency.

Question is this; Can I rig the system with the mast up once the boat is back in the water? Not so much the physical stuff but more the wiring run. My boat is hauled with the mast up and I was thinking I can run the cable down with the coax for the VHF antenna. It may require pulling the coax and sending a messenger up through the mast and then pulling it all back down.

Here's the masthead

Lots of room on the forward side of the masthead above the spinnaker halyard blocks. The light line is a messenger line.
And here's the cable exit inside the salon area.

The cables exit the mast on the port side through the black grommet that is slightly hidden. The other cables you see run through the headliner back to where they need to be. I'll do the same with the new wind system cables. Yes I own a cable snake !

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2009

No one has any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-24-2009

GBurton is on a distinguished road
I think your idea of using one of the existing cables to pull a new one in is a better one than trying to fish a new cable. Be aware that if the existing cables are wrapped around each other, you may run into problems.....
It is easier to do it if the mast is down but should be doable with the mast on the boat. You will need someone at deck level if you are up the mast.
Good luck
Old 01-25-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I have done this and tried it. I would fish using the exhisting messenger cable. You may think about a junction box to splice VHF as well as wind instrument cable for the eventuality of a quick diconnect when you take the mast down.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-25-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if you are going to use an existing wire to pull it in, first use the wire to pull in a nice strong string, then use the string to pull in the new and old wire. by doing that you kind of get a test pull first to see if it will hang up, if it does you have a decent chance of pulling it back in
Old 01-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
if you are going to use an existing wire to pull it in, first use the wire to pull in a nice strong string, then use the string to pull in the new and old wire. by doing that you kind of get a test pull first to see if it will hang up, if it does you have a decent chance of pulling it back in
That's what I was thinking. I have some really strong cord from my theatrical rigging days that will hold me up. I figured that plus a Kellum grip and I am good to go.

Thanks.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-25-2009

Rodz47 is on a distinguished road
Patrick, It depends on the size of holes in the mast. If you can insert fishing tape from the top would be better than using any cable for this purpose (IMHO). Also using Kellem grip for such small cable is an overkill. Just connect the cable to fishing tape with regular PVC tape. I think you will wait for a better weather as puling cable at below 5C is not the best idea either.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 01-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz47 View Post
Patrick, It depends on the size of holes in the mast. If you can insert fishing tape from the top would be better than using any cable for this purpose (IMHO). Also using Kellem grip for such small cable is an overkill. Just connect the cable to fishing tape with regular PVC tape. I think you will wait for a better weather as puling cable at below 5C is not the best idea either.

Good luck.

Chris
Honestly, I don't think I could get the Kellem through the hole at the base of the mast. I just don't like my messenger lines falling off the cables I'm trying pull. I'll probably just replace the coax to the VHF antenna at the same time aand use the old coax as my messenger.

I could only wish it were 5c here right now. At my backdoor where the thermometer is, it is currently -12c. And that NW wind is not helping me one bit!! Where I work (a kitchen) it averages 30c+ all the time. I went for a smoke a week ago this past Friday and the temperature diifference was almost 60c (-27c/ 28c windchill that night)! Climbing a mast for next 3 months is out of the question.

Thanks

1964 20' Bertram Moppie