Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-24-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
How tight should my Stays be?

I have a 24' sloop and I'm not trying to push the limits on my rigging. Is there a general rule on how tight your stays should be? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
I have a 24' sloop and I'm not trying to push the limits on my rigging. Is there a general rule on how tight your stays should be? Thanks
Lap, welcome to Sailnet..

Please read this thread here

sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/42542-adjusting-your-rig.html

The info is very good, and its easy to follow..I know the idiot that wrote it.

He is an idiot, but is a good guy..

But normally it should be around 20% of the breaking load of your wire

Alex

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-24-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
somehow, I can't post the link ,as it breaks.

Go to the search bar, and type "loos".

when you do it shows a whole bunch of threads, select the one called "adjusting your rig".

I am going to bump the thread for you, so you can see it in the begining.
Old 01-24-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Just tight enough to prevent the leeward wire from sagging under normal sailing conditions. Fiberglass is not rigid and you can actually bend your hull with too much tension.
Old 01-24-2009
Lynger1

lynger1 is on a distinguished road
i don't agree with 20% having a few sailing boat since 1972
Like mainsail said
i have mine set to around 40 % to give it some relieve from full tensions witch extenuate life if cables by years.never had fr-ailing of woven s/steel cable
and it acts like shock absorber
But like many boats most rigging is done for a price .when you start replacing stays increase the cable load capacity by min 50% and set to max 40% load
You Will have a rigging that last for a long time and saving you maintenance
Old 01-24-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I used to agonize over this and was scared to death of breaking my boat. A friend with an Islander Bahama 30 would regularly kick the butt of my Pearson 30, something that just shouldn't happen. I was reading an article on rig tuning that said the if a big ultralight with a hydraulic backstay doesn't bend how much damage do you think that you and an end wrench can do. I reefed down as much as I could on the backstay and picked up at least a full knot. That was about 25 years ago. I just saw the Pearson this afternoon and she's still straight.

Dick PLuta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Old 01-24-2009
Lynger1

lynger1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Pluta View Post
I used to agonize over this and was scared to death of breaking my boat. A friend with an Islander Bahama 30 would regularly kick the butt of my Pearson 30, something that just shouldn't happen. I was reading an article on rig tuning that said the if a big ultralight with a hydraulic backstay doesn't bend how much damage do you think that you and an end wrench can do. I reefed down as much as I could on the backstay and picked up at least a full knot. That was about 25 years ago. I just saw the Pearson this afternoon and she's still straight.

Dick PLuta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Proves my point
Lynger1
Old 01-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynger1 View Post
Like mainsail said
i have mine set to around 40 % to give it some relieve from full tensions witch extenuate life if cables by years.never had fr-ailing of woven s/steel cable
But like many boats most rigging is done for a price .when you start replacing stays increase the cable load capacity by min 50% and set to max 40% load

You are for sure joking, recommending someone to tension the stay to 40 and 50%?? Unless your 40 and 50 is not percentage of wire breaking load..which is how we measure.

I'm outta here...

To the original poster, make sure you note who said it, ok?? Wasn't me. Just in case.

By the way, google around some of the shroud and stay manufacturers web sites, you will CLEARLY read in all of them NOT to exceed 25% of the breaking load.

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-24-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Hey you are all great help thanks for all the info. I was looking for something like Moonsailor explaned but I believe Giulietta gave me alot to think about.
Old 01-24-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynger1 View Post
Like mainsail said
OK, this is really wrong in a number of ways. First, there absolutly no point in replacing your stays with bigger so as to "increase the cable load capacity by min. 50%" While you would have stronger cables, you wouldn't have stronger pins that conect the cable to the boat, stronger chainplates, or a stronger boat. Just to use some nice round numbers, if your boats stays have a capacity of 1000# and you increase that by 50% you would have cables with a capacity of 1500#. 40% of 1500# is 600#, or 60 percent of the original cables. Your boat wasn't built for that kind of prolonged static load. I'm pretty sure the Naval Architech that designed you boat spec'd it to have the cables it does for a reason.

Do a bit more research and I'm sure you will find G-'s recommendation of 15-20% is correct.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.