Nexus wind transducer repair needed - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 04-03-2012

Re: nexus single fin repair

I saw your thread on repairing Nexus single fin wind transducers. I have one that dates back to around 1990. It stopped working and I took it down and found that it need lubrication so it would rotate properly and then noticed the fin is missing. The fin is attached to a black conical cap with 4 small screws at the back of the transducer. Do you have any replacement caps or know where I can get one? If not, do you have any ideas about fabricating a fin and what would be the best way to attach it...glue?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-29-2012

Re: Nexus wind transducer repair needed

An update on my nexus wind transducer. I finally got up the mast to retrieve the anemometer and vane assembly (a month ago or so). I then disassembled it. Lubing the ball bearing races freed up both the speed and direction axes. I used a thin layer of silicone seal in place of the gaskets/sealer that was there. Last week I re-installed it and it works like new.

Aside: I found this is an extremely well designed unit. The mast attachment mechanism is very good -- both completely secure and easily undone. The wind propeller spins a plastic marble that is half white and half black. An LED & photosensor pair picks up the rotation rate without touching the spinning shaft anywhere.

For Ghoster: Fabricating an epoxy fibreglass fin should be finicky but relatively simple. Keep it light! On mine the black cap and fin is one unit attached by four screws. I would fabricate an epoxy glass fin and cap in one so there is no glueing. Put some carbon black or other pigment in the epoxy for UV protection and silica powder for strength. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to extremo For This Useful Post:
fburch (11-01-2014)
post #13 of 21 Old 11-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremo View Post
An update on my nexus wind transducer. I finally got up the mast to retrieve the anemometer and vane assembly (a month ago or so). I then disassembled it. Lubing the ball bearing races freed up both the speed and direction axes. I used a thin layer of silicone seal in place of the gaskets/sealer that was there. Last week I re-installed it and it works like new.

Aside: I found this is an extremely well designed unit. The mast attachment mechanism is very good -- both completely secure and easily undone. The wind propeller spins a plastic marble that is half white and half black. An LED & photosensor pair picks up the rotation rate without touching the spinning shaft anywhere.

For Ghoster: Fabricating an epoxy fibreglass fin should be finicky but relatively simple. Keep it light! On mine the black cap and fin is one unit attached by four screws. I would fabricate an epoxy glass fin and cap in one so there is no glueing. Put some carbon black or other pigment in the epoxy for UV protection and silica powder for strength. Good luck!
I would like to service my Nexus wind transducer and saw your thread. Is your transducer still functioning properly? What lubricant did you use? Was it difficult to disassemble the unit? Thanks for any insights.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-01-2014

Try your local Garmin dealer as Garmin and Nexus have combined...
Garmin | United States | Nexus Instruments for Sailboats
post #15 of 21 Old 11-01-2014

Thanks, aa3jy. I did already contact Garmin and they want to sell me a new transducer and tell me my existing unit cannot be serviced through them. The posts I am reading here and elsewhere indicate that while Garmin may not service the units, it is possible to service them and so I am looking for help from others who may have tackled this. The wind vane and propellers are not turning in very light air....otherwise the unit is working well. Insights into the best lubricant and accessing the bearing surfaces to do this will be greatly appreciated. The $600 Garmin wants for a new unit is something I am trying to avoid if I can.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-07-2015

Hi all,

Similar issue here. Starting this year my Nexus single fin transducer does not spin in very light wind. I'm also questioning the accuracy of the measurement and feel it is underestimating the actual wind speed.

My plan is to go up the mast and remove the transducer for servicing. I'm curious to know recommended lubricants? I'm thinking some sort of dry lube spray would be best, like McLube?
post #17 of 21 Old 07-07-2015
Crealock 37

Dock
Re: nexus single fin repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickbooth View Post
I can repair Nexus single fin wind td's. I am a Nexus dealer/service center in Florida. Also very good with all other Nexus/Comnav/Silva issues.

Dick Booth d underscore booth at verizon dot net
And a fine job he does with a quick turnaround.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner26 View Post
Hi all,

Similar issue here. Starting this year my Nexus single fin transducer does not spin in very light wind. I'm also questioning the accuracy of the measurement and feel it is underestimating the actual wind speed.

My plan is to go up the mast and remove the transducer for servicing. I'm curious to know recommended lubricants? I'm thinking some sort of dry lube spray would be best, like McLube?
I can vouch for Dick Booth. He was punctual in responding to my queries and rather than repair my existing transducer, Dick sent me a newer pre-Garmin Nexus upgrade that is compatible with my existing server. However, I noticed that while my boat was on the hard over the winter, the wind transducer started turning freely again in all wind conditions. And, by time of Spring launch, was responding properly in even the lightest puff of wind. Rather than climb the mast to install the upgrade Dick shipped, I just monitored the existing unit and it has been functioning flawlessly since launch in early April for these past 3 months. When inspecting my foresail, I noticed an abundance of loose dacron threads near the head of the sail. I surmise that these loose threads became entangled in my transducer over the course of last season and fouled things up. We had a brutal winter here and I believe that the ice, wind, hail, and rain effectively unfouled those loose threads from my transducer. I carefully repaired all of the loose threads on my headsail this Spring before remounting. So far, so good. That Nexus transducer is now nearly 20 years old and still working like a champ. When it finally does give up the ghost, I have the replacement that Dick Booth sent me to install in its place, but right now it ain't broke so no need to fix it. Something good came out of that hard winter we endured at any rate. If your climbing the mast, the first thing you might inspect is if any loose sail material or threads got wound around the transducer and are impairing its movement. My two bits anyway. Good luck!
post #19 of 21 Old 07-21-2015

Update: I removed the wind transducer from the top of the mast and brought it home. Gave it a good spray with the hose into the spinning part where the conical cap attached to the twin vane. Immediate difference! Sun much more freely. I think it just had dust in it.

Overthinking the situation, I then put in a couple of drops of McLube OneDrop into the part where the cap attaches but I felt that this actually reduced the spinning somewhat, so I sprayed it with the hose again to clean it out.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself, I then reinstalled the transducer at the top of the mast, and now the dam thing doesn't register on my instrument display. It just shows several horizontal dashes. A glance upward tells me the unit is spinning just fine, but no reading. So back up the mast I went, thinking it was a loose wire, but I could fine no issues. To add to the aggravation, the problem appears intermittent. It cuts in and out for several minutes at a time while sailing.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is?
post #20 of 21 Old 07-22-2015
Closet Powerboater

Indeterminacy is often a bad connection. Rust in a wire connector is likely.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.