Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-26-2009

shadypark is on a distinguished road
Halyard alternatives

Greetings all:
It is definitely time to replace the main halyard on my Hunter 25. Currently in use is a line that ends in a cable. Is that cable in place due to a tolerance requirement or due to a space restraint in the mast? Can i replace this with a halyard that is all line and what is any would my options be?
thanks as always!

Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The halyard is rope/wire because traditionally wire had less stretch than rope, and when hoisted the bulk of the halyard under load was the wire.

Today's "rope" is much better, stronger, stretches less and is and simpler to deal with; you avoid wlre's "meathooks", on and on it goes.

Your limiting factor might be the sheaves in the masthead, which may have a v-shaped groove and be sized for wire only. Running line over them may not be optimal. Others have a two level groove, wider for the rope and a narrower deeper one for the wire. Neither of these types are really meant for line-only for a long period of time.

Today's line halyards are strong enough that they can be much smaller line size than what you probably have now, but then handling them is harder on the hands. A larger cover can be sewn on to assist that part of things.

Talk to a chandler about their selection of line.. they'll have some suggestions.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, if you're going to replace a wire-to-rope halyard with all-rope, make sure you check the exit slots for any damage, and fix it if there is any, or you'll be replacing the line rather frequently due to chafe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Did this project on Aeolus

Hi Ken,
I did this exact project on Aeolus (Gulf 32) last year and have photos and info on my blog at Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse Like others have said, check your sheaves. I found my sheaves were old and badly grooved from the wire anyway and I took this as an opportunity to replace them. Highly recommend Zephyrwerks in Port Townsend, Washington. Does beautiful work for affordable prices. Learning to eye splice double braid, which is easy, really makes this project satisfying.

I went with Samson XLS, as my research and the folks at Fisheries Supply here in Washington recommended it. I'm happy with it.

It's a fun project and a good excuse to check all your pins and stuff up the mast. Sure was nice to have mast steps in my case, as it made my trips up and down fast and easy.

You'll have fun. Good luck.