Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
K after playing around a little bit the NOAA charts aren't too detailed in the viewer. I do have the way zoomed out version but I thought they would still have some sort of labels.....heres a couple screen shots. The first one is after I downloaded all of the charts....too much space so I deleted then the second one is pretty much New England.Attachment 3276

Attachment 3277
What chart is this? There are a number of chart levels with more or less detail. This looks like an overview chart of east coast and Long Island area. It is not particularly detailed, especially in coastal areas.

Somewhat more detail will appear as you zoom in, but this particular chart probably won't get a lot more interesting. For smaller scale (more detailed) charts select those that have names beginning with US5.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Brak, any maps of Europe? Portugal and Spain?

If there are I will be interested.

Thanks

ENC charts are available for pretty much the entire world. While S57 format is the same the world over, essentially all countries other than US use encrypted version of the format. To support the encryption, application product must apply to IHO for specific per-product keys, and add custom implementation of key management and decryption module. This does require certain level of stability from the product and is on our schedule.

To be sure, ENC charts outside US are encrypted for a reason - they are only available for purchase. There are no free ENC downloads outside NOAA that we know of, except for a single ENC test cell of a small part of Great Barrier Reef , made available by Australian hydrographic office specifically for ENC testing.

Follow this link ( " + theTitle + " ) to the application that shows global ENC chart coverage.

Last edited by brak; 01-28-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just downloaded the software....and I'm installing it tomorrow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I just downloaded the software....and I'm installing it tomorrow...
Make sure to store it in a cool dry location until installation.
Old 01-28-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
K just tested the us5 chart and it was still just outlines and no depths or symbols. Since I have time and space on my computer I downloaded another enc viewer and viewed the exact same chart in it here's what I got so it isn't getting the symbols and depths for some reason.....unless it's just me.Alpha testers wanted-screen-shot.jpg

Alpha testers wanted-test1.jpg
Old 01-28-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
K just tested the us5 chart and it was still just outlines and no depths or symbols. Since I have time and space on my computer I downloaded another enc viewer and viewed the exact same chart in it here's what I got so it isn't getting the symbols and depths for some reason.....unless it's just me.Attachment 3278

Attachment 3279
What scale (zoom level) are you using to view this chart? Look at the bottom of the screen ("status bar"), the second item shows "scale". How does the display change as you go down to smaller scale? Also, what is the name of this chart cell?

If the nav symbols/items etc do not appear as you zoom in further, we may have a first reported bug.
Old 01-28-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
I started at 1:15000 and went all the way to about 1:2000 nothing changed just zoomed into outlines and if you mean viewer for "chart cell" I am using mac enc for the other one. Heres a link MacENC™ - Marine Navigation & Charting Application for OS X
If you mean chart set it is #US5NY14M oyster bay - eatons neck
Old 01-28-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
I started at 1:15000 and went all the way to about 1:2000 nothing changed just zoomed into outlines and if you mean viewer for "chart cell" I am using mac enc for the other one. Heres a link MacENC™ - Marine Navigation & Charting Application for OS X
If you mean chart set it is #US5NY14M oyster bay - eatons neck
It should show quite a bit of detail at scales of anywhere from 50000 down to the smallest one. So, it is a first real issue. I have sent you a pm - if you don't mind forward us some information about your system.
Old 01-29-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Hey brak... I just started playing around and I'm noticing that cells aren't visible at all levels of zoom.

I've got US3WA01M and US3WA02M loaded. At the "overview scale" (1:1600000), I see a black screen with the cells outlined in red and the labels on gray backgrounds. Only when I zoom in to 1:4000000 do I actually see any chart. As I zoom in I get increasing levels of detail, which is great... but there should at least be some sort of sea/land displayed at the smaller scales.

Also could we have depths in fathoms please?

edit: the "smallest scale of visibility" seems to be different for different cells...

Last edited by AdamLein; 01-29-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What is visible is probably dependent on what zoom level you're at and what the scale of the charts you're over are at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Hey brak... I just started playing around and I'm noticing that cells aren't visible at all levels of zoom.

I've got US3WA01M and US3WA02M loaded. At the "overview scale" (1:1600000), I see a black screen with the cells outlined in red and the labels on gray backgrounds. Only when I zoom in to 1:4000000 do I actually see any chart. As I zoom in I get increasing levels of detail, which is great... but there should at least be some sort of sea/land displayed at the smaller scales.

Also could we have depths in fathoms please?

edit: the "smallest scale of visibility" seems to be different for different cells...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.