Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback.

Autoscaling was one of the primary features we want to test in this Alpha. It is a feature that is based on a number of items including type of an object and chart scale. In addition, ENC format defines minimum and maximum scale at which objects are shown.

Charts become outlines when scale is set so large that no discernible features can be seen on that chart. When that happens, view should switch to a smaller scale chart. At this point, since charts are not automatically loaded, you need to load the smaller scale chart manually. For example, in the area you are viewing, you can load chart US1WC01M. Then, as you zoom out of the large scale chart, you will automatically switch to a smaller scale at appropriate level. This functionality should (and would) be automatic in the future releases, bear with us

Fathoms for depths were just added to feature request list to Alpha 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Hey brak... I just started playing around and I'm noticing that cells aren't visible at all levels of zoom.

I've got US3WA01M and US3WA02M loaded. At the "overview scale" (1:1600000), I see a black screen with the cells outlined in red and the labels on gray backgrounds. Only when I zoom in to 1:4000000 do I actually see any chart. As I zoom in I get increasing levels of detail, which is great... but there should at least be some sort of sea/land displayed at the smaller scales.

Also could we have depths in fathoms please?

edit: the "smallest scale of visibility" seems to be different for different cells...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

A major UI bug was discovered and fixed in a Mac version. A new image is available for download. Please make sure your current product version (as listed in Help->About dialog) for Mac is 0.2.263 or higher.
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just re-downloaded it and should be installing it at lunch time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
mac still no chart items

brak

I have 2.263 per the last bug fix, and a US5 VA32 chart that still does not show chart details...

fyi

I am on a MAC, 2 ghz dual core, OsX 10.5.6

dave
Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
brak

I have 2.263 per the last bug fix, and a US5 VA32 chart that still does not show chart details...

fyi

I am on a MAC, 2 ghz dual core, OsX 10.5.6

dave

You seem to have hit the same issue as another person on this thread - our bug number 1 . That one is not fixed yet and we need all the help we can get in replicating and localizing it.

Would you mind sending us (either by PM here or through email) the system information for your mac (found in "About this Mac->More info" menu? In particular, the amount of memory your machine has is of interest.

We may have to create a specific diagnostic utility for this issue - would you be interested in trying it on your machine?
Old 01-29-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I understand the rationale behind hiding fine details when zoomed out. However, the chart numbering system is cryptic and when I load a chart I have no idea what I'm looking at until I zoom in to a scale on which the chart is visible (or zoom out, since sometimes the chart I've loaded doesn't cover the "region" I'm looking at).

I suggest that all visible regions for which a chart is loaded at some scale have some chart information rendered, and if there's no chart loaded for the current scale, render at least the lowest non-zero level of detail from the smallest scale chart that is loaded. Raster charts get arbitrarily downsampled as you zoom out and I see no reason not to do the same for vector charts, though I recognize some cleverer algorithms will be required.

Alternatively, a graphical interface for loading charts (similar to but more better than the Java interface on the NOAA site) would be nice; this would likely involve downsampling as well, of course. If you're looking to incorporate autoscaling in future versions, you're going to need a database of all available charts anyway, so having a graphical interface to that database is a good intermediate step.
Old 01-29-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
G'day all!

A brand new ENC (vector) chart navigation application for Windows and MacOS is looking for alpha testers. If you are interested in navigation, software and have a bit of a daredevil in you - apply here.

This is a first attempt at letting anyone not related to the product take a look. To be sure, application is far from complete (it is, essentially, an ENC viewer). If you try it, you *will* encounter bugs - this is the nature of Alpha stage products.

We are looking for your feedback. It is still very early in development cycle and your feedback will most certainly have a real and significant impact on direction the project takes.

We know that more features are missing than can be counted. What we are looking for in particular is feedback on the features that are currently in the product. Some of the areas that need an outside expert user look are:
- Chart display correctness.
- Chart color and symbol selection and readability.
- Operation on various hardware and OS platforms.

The application is currently available for Win32 (Windows 2000/XP, potentially Vista, we are looking for Vista testers) and Mac OS (Intel only, no PowerPC support) 10.5 Leopard (10.4 Tiger needs testers as well).

If you like what you read and want to risk it - visit download area at Polar Navy . Download is "by invitation" and access keyword is ALPHA1.

Thanks all

P.S. The installation package does not include any charts. Charts in ENC format can be downloaded from NOAA web site at Electronic Navigational Charts: NOAA ENCs®. Download ENC charts, place them in any location on your hard drive and use File->Open menu item to open ENC chart files. The primary ENC chart file that needs to be selected is the one with extension .000.
Documentation will be available shortly - pardon the dust.
I'd be interested in testing the MacOS version. What's the minimum requirements? I have a G3 and G4 ibook. Also are there charts available for inland waterways and lakes?

Thanks

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

There is no PowerPC version for Mac at this time. It may happen at a later date, but currently only Intel-based Macs are supported.

There are some inland waterway charts available from here: Inland Electronic Navigation Charts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
I'd be interested in testing the MacOS version. What's the minimum requirements? I have a G3 and G4 ibook. Also are there charts available for inland waterways and lakes?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Hey brak just tried exiting and opening it w/o firefox and still nothing...
Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
Hey brak just tried exiting and opening it w/o firefox and still nothing...
A few more people have the same issue and it is not related to memory (we know that much ). There will be a diagnostic utility sometime next week - if you are interested to try it. Then we might have a better idea of what is going on.