Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
several manufacturers do make plumbed UV sterilization units... not cheap though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Cuz they don't make a plumbed unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
MaineSail - I was hoping to get a .2 micron unit, which is what this 3M unit is for a lower price than a SeaGull. From what I understand, there is the possibility of contaminated water down south, and I don't want to take the risk. SD - I agree on doing the galley faucet only.
That filter is a MUCH better deal than a SeaGull. I still personally would want to treat with a treatment to kill the bacteria and sequentially filter or pre-filter to the .2 micron filter with a sediment filter in the 2-5 micron range. My SeaGull plugged up very quickly. I could not find a price on the 3M cartridge?? If you are going to third worl countries a .2 micron is not a bad idea but filters of any kind should not sit without flow for long perids of time. Excercising your water filters is a must.

One thing to be concious of is the lingo use in the filtration industry. The nominal rating is .2 micron but that does not mean it catches 100% of all .2 micron sized particulate and they will pass larger particles than .2 micron. Though not a reall big deal I wish there were more disclosure about nominal ratings and what % of particles larger than .2 it actually passes? Is it 1%, 2% or 5%..

I still like a cap full of bleach or tank treatment every now and then just to be sure. If you don't do this the bacteria can begin to grow and then really plug up your filters fast. A filter does nothing to prevent bacterial growth inside the tanks or lines and it only removes what is there. Don't let it get there is my whole point. If your don't let bacteria grow or kill it as you add water to the tanks then you and your filtration system will be better off..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
just don't use bleach regularly if you have aluminum tanks...or you'll pay for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I take care of a pharmacutical DI water system and if you knock down the water in steps like 5 / .5 / .2 the .2 last forever
Do you have specific recommendations? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

I would have a small 5 micron setup to use on the hose you fill your tanks with as when we treat CLEAN city water this is were the bulk of the dirt comes from

No matter how clear your water LOOKS you will be supprised when you start changing filters how dirty they get

Now even with a state of the art system with a BIG UV unit we still sanitize the system once a week with bleach BUT we also flush it out completely as there is a chlorinated water exposure and bladder cancer risk

With in the boat i would only try and filter the drinking water and would try and use a 1 or .5 to try and protect the final .2 micron most of the units will also remove the chlorine and take care of that issue

As mainsail says you need to keep the water moving even if you run the tap and put the water back into the tank

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-22-2009
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
It installs between the output of the pump and the fixtures .
This may be a stupid question but;

I am thinking about adding a filter to my Catalina 400.

Should one install the filter directly after the pump ( I have a small accumulator tank just after the filter) or just before the cold water faucet in the Galley?

1. Just after pump
This would mean that both hot and cold water would be filtered and water for both head faucets, showers and cockpit shower water would be filtered.

2. In the cold water line just before the galley faucet
This would mean that only the cold water in the galley faucet would be filtered and filtration would occur just before the faucet.

I am thinking option number two as the amount of filtered gallons would be reduced and the filter would last longer. I am also thinging that it would be enough to have drinkable, filtered water in the galley only (not heads)

Another question - there is limited space to install the filter - can the filter be mounted horizontally or does it have to mount vertically?

Cheers