Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
3M Water Filtration

Does anyone use or has anyone heard if these units are any good? I'm thinking of adding one on before we head to the Bahamas...

3M RV/Marine Water Filters
3M WV-B2 Recreational / Marine Filtration System Only $205.5
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Those look a lot like the old NSA under sink filters you could buy for your home. Should be fine, but would recommend you put a good 5 micron filter in front of it, so that crap from the water system doesn't clog it up and gets caught in the 5 micron filter instead. Also, would recommend that you put that in-line with only the galley faucet, so that the volume of water going through it is lower, so it lasts longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Don't pay more than you need to. We installed this last summer and it works great! Sequential filtering always works best so add a Britta or similar faucet mounted filter after the "whole house" filter.

For drinking water on board we use a GE whole house, cartridge style, water filter set up using this GE 1 Micron Drinking Water Carbon Replacement Filter - FXULC at The Home Depot and this GX1S01C - GE® Single Stage Drinking Water Filter - Features And Photos. It installs between the output of the pump and the fixtures and is very, very easy to do.

For added filtering we also have a Brita "On Tap" Faucet Water Filter System Only $25.49 faucet mounted filter in the galley on the faucet for double filtration. We drink right out of our 1979 tanks with this set up no problem!!

One thing about filters is you need to "exercise" your water system at a minimum weekly or the filters will go bad. I run the water for about a minute each time I'm on board and this keeps the filters fresh. We save a ton on bottled water by being able to drink right out of our tanks.

Location is behind the starboard settee.

A close up:

This photo was taken during winterization and the Brita was by-passed.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-29-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I dont see a number BUT it takes a .2 micron filter to stop bacteria

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mainesail—

Glad you added the caption to the Brita photo...it would have looked really bad without an explanation...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I dont see a number BUT it takes a .2 micron filter to stop bacteria
The filter is class 1 which means .5 - 1 micron in size. The $475.00 I saved over buying a Seagull IV (.1 -.4 micron) buys a LOT of cap fulls of bleach or water tank treatment which also kill the bacteria. I shock the system at the beginning of each season and add some treatment now and then..

We have been using this filter set up on numerous boats, no one has ever been sick and we use lots of water.

We had a Seagull on one boat and it plugged up quicker than you can imagine and the replacement filters were astronomically priced @ about $90.00 ea.. The GE filters when ordered on line are about $13.00-$15.00 and last a lot longer. Considering we've been using this type of set up now for just over eight years and consuming running thousands of gallons of water through them with no issues I think it's safe to say it works fairly well..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-29-2009
I'd rather be sailing

MaineSail - I was hoping to get a .2 micron unit, which is what this 3M unit is for a lower price than a SeaGull. From what I understand, there is the possibility of contaminated water down south, and I don't want to take the risk. SD - I agree on doing the galley faucet only.
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

If bacteria is really a concern, get a SteriPen type unit to disinfect the water with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
MaineSail - I was hoping to get a .2 micron unit, which is what this 3M unit is for a lower price than a SeaGull. From what I understand, there is the possibility of contaminated water down south, and I don't want to take the risk. SD - I agree on doing the galley faucet only.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-29-2009
I'd rather be sailing

Cuz they don't make a plumbed unit.
Old 01-29-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I take care of a pharmacutical DI water system and if you knock down the water in steps like 5 / .5 / .2 the .2 last forever and we just change them once a year becasue we have to

The 5 micron street water filters look like TURDS in 6 weeks and Long Island has pretty good water and if i was staying in this area i would not worry BUT in many places they get there drinking water from rivers and it is much more diffcult to clean up

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat