Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
maine sail,

so if i'm reading this right, i should get rid of the ACR & get an echo charger. any particular model. xantrex? by the way, thanks for the info. glad i haven't gone too far yet.
If you have the choice...yes, get the echocharger instead.
Quote:
the new battery selector that came with the 8686, goes, off, on, combine. so i don't have to worry about frying the diodes. that's one reason i went with this selector. i could just envision my kids twisting the dial the wrong way.

if i get rid of the ACR and add an echo charger i'm not sure how it charges. would it charge when the battery selector is in the on position and the engine running or would it only charge when the battery selector is in combine and the engine running?
Basically, the echo charger will sense whenever there is a charging level voltage on the house bank side and then use that as a source for it to charge the starting bank. The switch should be in the run position, not the combine position. Putting it in the combine position defeats the whole idea behind having an echo charger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
maine sail,

so if i'm reading this right, i should get rid of the ACR & get an echo charger. any particular model. xantrex? by the way, thanks for the info. glad i haven't gone too far yet.
the new battery selector that came with the 8686, goes, off, on, combine. so i don't have to worry about frying the diodes. that's one reason i went with this selector. i could just envision my kids twisting the dial the wrong way.

if i get rid of the ACR and add an echo charger i'm not sure how it charges. would it charge when the battery selector is in the on position and the engine running or would it only charge when the battery selector is in combine and the engine running?
If it has an OFF position you have kids you can still fry your diodes!! Switching between 1/2/ALL will not fry the diodes it's switching to OFF with the engine running that will. I am a firm believer that the alt should not be able to be easily disconnected from a load via a battery switch.

The Echo Charge is the model and it's made by Xantrex. I linked to it in one of the above posts.. Good luck!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-30-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
wchevron,

IMHO, you don't need the 8686 panel. It was designed for a two-engine system, and really complicates the install you're after, while not really adding anything valuable.

A good, robust 12V DC system for a smallish cruising boat (I assume you do have the C30 in your Profile) would consist of:

1. One house battery bank, comprised of however many house batteries you have, wired together into one large 12V bank;

2. All onboard charging sources -- alternator, battery charger, wind generator, solar panels, gas or diesel generator, etc. -- all wired directly to that house battery bank, through an appropriate CPD (circuit protection device -- fuse or breaker);

3. Assuming there's a separate starting battery, it should be maintained with an EchoCharge or DuoCharge device. For your boat, the Xantrex EchoCharge would be more than enough, and it's less costly than the Balmar DuoCharge. This device sits between the house battery bank and the starting battery, and bleeds off some charging current whenever it senses a charge on the house batteries from any source;

4. Appropriately sized cables from the batteries to the engine, alternator, distribution panel(s), etc., with appropriate CPDs; and

5. A reliable means of measuring voltage (at a minimum) or a more sophisticated battery monitoring system (like the Link series) if you wanna get fancy.

Re: battery switches, my preference would be for a simple ON-OFF switch for the engine starting battery and an ON-OFF switch for the house batteries. But, because many folks are worried about how to easily combine the batteries, you could also use a 1-2-OFF-BOTH switch, which would only combine the house and starting batteries when in the BOTH position.

If you're really worried about your kids playing with the switches, I'd find some way to put the fear of god in them to leave them alone (I had 6 kids...all grown now...who grew up sailing; NEVER had a problem with them getting near the battery switches).

Bill
Old 01-30-2009
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
alright,
let me see if i have this straight.

1.i already have the 8686 so i'll keep it. it's only designed for 1 engine.
2.i'm going to wire the alternator directly to the house battery.
3. i'll install an echo charger between the house & starting battery
4. if the engine is running & the batt. selector gets turned to off, i don't fry the diodes because the alt. is not connected to the batt. switch only right to the house batt.
5. when i set the batt. selector to run or on, with the engine running, the alt charges the house batt. and the echo charger senses the charge & charges the starting battery.

here is where i'm getting confused. if i wire it per maine sails directions with the alt. to the house batt. and i use the echo charger. if the starting battery gets drained and the house is still charged and i can't start the engine. if i put the batt. selector to combine, will both batteries combine and charges equal out. if this doesn't happen, how come & how would i start the engine. would i take the wires off the engine battery & put them on the house battery to get the engine running? if this is what to do, i'm assuming the echo charger would charge the engine battery while the house is running the engine.
Old 01-30-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Yep, one engine. Sorry, some of the sites have this advertised as designed for twin engine installations.

I dug out the detailed pdf instructions and specs from the blueseasystems site.

OK, the 8686 is just a couple of ganged battery switches, and a distribution panel with CPDs (breakers)...all in one. You only have to turn one switch to turn on both the house batteries and the starting battery.

Now, for the EchoCharge. It is wired directly between the house batteries and the start battery. It does not go thru any switch. It's completely automatic in operation. It just sits there and whenever it senses more than about 12.8 volts on the house batteries -- meaning there's a charge on them -- it will bleed off a bit for the start battery. It will not overcharge the start battery, nor will it allow the start battery to be depleted by the house batteries.

So, the changes needed from the diagram shown at the bottom left of the installation papers for the 8686 are two:

1. Wire the EchoCharge in place of the 7610ACR shown -- according to directions which come with the EchoCharge; and

2. Run a healthy-sized wire from the alternator output to the house batteries, though an appropriately-sized CPD (rated about 20-25% higher than the maximum alternator output).

Possible problem re: #2 -- the alternator may at present be wired to the starting battery via the starter solenoid (as is assumed in the Blue Sea wiring diagram). That's why they show an ACR (relay) which would pass a lot more juice to the house batteries.

Soooooo..... If you don't feel comfortable changing the alternator setup, it might make the most sense for you to forget all of the above and just go with an ACR as shown. Sometimes a less-than-optimum setup is better...for practical reasons.

I'll shut up now. Sorry if I've confused the issue.

Bill
Old 01-30-2009
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
bill
thanks for the reply. i'll have to check to see how the alternator is currently wired and then make a decision. appreciate the help.
Old 01-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
alright,
let me see if i have this straight.

1.i already have the 8686 so i'll keep it. it's only designed for 1 engine.
2.i'm going to wire the alternator directly to the house battery.
3. i'll install an echo charger between the house & starting battery
4. if the engine is running & the batt. selector gets turned to off, i don't fry the diodes because the alt. is not connected to the batt. switch only right to the house batt.
5. when i set the batt. selector to run or on, with the engine running, the alt charges the house batt. and the echo charger senses the charge & charges the starting battery.
All good...

Quote:
here is where i'm getting confused. if i wire it per maine sails directions with the alt. to the house batt. and i use the echo charger. if the starting battery gets drained and the house is still charged and i can't start the engine. if i put the batt. selector to combine, will both batteries combine and charges equal out. if this doesn't happen, how come & how would i start the engine. would i take the wires off the engine battery & put them on the house battery to get the engine running? if this is what to do, i'm assuming the echo charger would charge the engine battery while the house is running the engine.
If you put the battery selector in combine, yes, the batteries will try to equalize, but unless the starting battery bank is shorted, it usually isn't much of a problem, since the house bank is usually far greater in size on most boats. If you have a large house bank that has a decent charge on it trying to equalize to a small start bank that is nearly dead, your overall voltage levels don't drop anywhere near as far as if you have a small well-charged starting bank equalizing to a large dead house bank.

For instance, look at the house bank and the starting bank as two buckets. The house bank is a 55-gallon drum, and the starting bank is a five-gallon paint pail, and you have them connected by a hose...and at the same level.

The first situation is like having a half full 55-gallon drum and pouring some of it into the empty five gallon bucket... how much is possibly going to leave the 55-gallon drum for the five gallon drum?? The second situation is like having a full five gallon-drum and having it pour into the 55 gallon drum...

Which do you think is going to take more water—the 55 gallon drum or the five-gallon bucket.

BTW, this is not a perfect analogy...but you get the idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.