SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boat Wax (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50945-boat-wax.html)

lancelot9898 01-29-2009 11:20 AM

Boat Wax

In the past, I've always used a boat wax on my fiberglass boat every spring. (Trewax Boat Past Wax) All I do is use a boat soap and some black streak remover to clean the hull and follow it up with the paste wax. This year I'm considering just using a car wax at less than half the price...Meguiar makes both a car and a boat wax and according to their car wax description it also contains UV inhibitors. Anybody else using just a car wax??

Wayne25 01-29-2009 11:31 AM

Look at this months Practical Sailor. It has an article on this exact topic.

lancelot9898 01-29-2009 11:36 AM

I think my 6 month subscription to them has run out. Wasn't too impressed with their "testing" of other products however. Did they test any car wax or only boat waxes?

Maine Sail 01-29-2009 11:49 AM

PS did test car waxes and none were to impressive especially on gloss ratings. 3M Ultra Paste and Collinite Fleet Paste #885 stlil came out on top for gloss.

Unfortunately PS does not really understand waxes and advised the use of a machine for application and removal of Collinite.

Please DO NOT use a machine to apply or remove carnuba wax or you will defeat the entire purpose and protection of the wax. Collinite goes on and off very easily if you know what you are doing PS does not unfortunately as many don't..

A little misting bottle of water, a foam applicator done by hand and microfiber rags for removal are all that is needed. DO NOT let a carnuba dry totally before wiping off and do not apply in the sun. Properly applied and properly removed Collinite is very easy the problem is most don't apply or remove correctly.

I have tried tons of car wax's and none has stood up as well as Collinite paste wax. I've even tried some of the very expensive carnuba's like P21s, Pinnacle Souveran and many others.

I would love to find a product that out lasts and out shines Collinite on fiberglass but as of yet have not found it...

Wayne25 01-29-2009 11:56 AM

Try this. Practical Sailor

I still think Collinite #885 is the longest lasting wax I've ever used. Yes its expensive and needs some elbow grease or a buffer to apply, but it gives great results. I'd rather do it once a year and forget it.
To answer your less expensive auto question they gave the initial on/off and shine results to the new Turtle Wax F-21 (not to be confused with their other product that didn't do well). Other waxes that made their cut: Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Paste Wax, Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax, and the Collinite #885 Fleetwax.

Wayne25 01-29-2009 11:59 AM

Maine Sail - Good info on the Collinite application. I'll try that this year.

Brezzin 01-29-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail (Post 440154)
A little misting bottle of water, a foam applicator done by hand and microfiber rags for removal are all that is needed. DO NOT let a carnuba dry totally before wiping off and do not apply in the sun.

Maine-
I'm feeling a bit slow today. Please clarify the procedure. I read above as this

Apply collinite allow to haze Mist then remove?

Thanks

Maine Sail 01-29-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brezzin (Post 440186)
Maine-
I'm feeling a bit slow today. Please clarify the procedure. I read above as this

Apply collinite allow to haze Mist then remove?

Thanks

Sorry.

Lightly mist the foam applicator (I like the round yellow ones made by Meguiars) or the hull then apply the wax. Let it haze up a little then remove with a micro fiber rag. Do small sections at a time then move on never wax an entire side ... The water is the secret!

I can do one side of a 36 footer in about 25-30 minutes..

gaha_1 02-01-2009 08:56 AM

ploy glow

I have tried all kinds of things.I have a 1977 with a green hull.After about a month it needed waxed again. I tried ploy-glow the year befor last. It looked like new.Last year I didn't get a chance to do anything and she look great.This year I will put another coat on her.I'am sold.Easy to use

CalypsoP35 02-01-2009 09:16 AM

I also use Collinite. Can't remember what the # is, but I use the one step cleaner/wax in a bottle for the first coat and then use the wax that comes in a bottle for the second coat. I do it before launching the spring and it still looks good when it comes out of the water in the fall. And I'm working with the original gel coat which is 28 years old and still has a great shine.

I've read to truly protect the gel coat you should be putting 3 coats of wax on. There's no way I'm going to spend that much time waxing. So I compromise using a cleaner/wax first coat and a wax second coat.