Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Boat Wax

In the past, I've always used a boat wax on my fiberglass boat every spring. (Trewax Boat Past Wax) All I do is use a boat soap and some black streak remover to clean the hull and follow it up with the paste wax. This year I'm considering just using a car wax at less than half the price...Meguiar makes both a car and a boat wax and according to their car wax description it also contains UV inhibitors. Anybody else using just a car wax??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Look at this months Practical Sailor. It has an article on this exact topic.
1976 #552
Old 01-29-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I think my 6 month subscription to them has run out. Wasn't too impressed with their "testing" of other products however. Did they test any car wax or only boat waxes?
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
PS did test car waxes and none were to impressive especially on gloss ratings. 3M Ultra Paste and Collinite Fleet Paste #885 stlil came out on top for gloss.

Unfortunately PS does not really understand waxes and advised the use of a machine for application and removal of Collinite.

Please DO NOT use a machine to apply or remove carnuba wax or you will defeat the entire purpose and protection of the wax. Collinite goes on and off very easily if you know what you are doing PS does not unfortunately as many don't..

A little misting bottle of water, a foam applicator done by hand and microfiber rags for removal are all that is needed. DO NOT let a carnuba dry totally before wiping off and do not apply in the sun. Properly applied and properly removed Collinite is very easy the problem is most don't apply or remove correctly.

I have tried tons of car wax's and none has stood up as well as Collinite paste wax. I've even tried some of the very expensive carnuba's like P21s, Pinnacle Souveran and many others.

I would love to find a product that out lasts and out shines Collinite on fiberglass but as of yet have not found it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-29-2009

Try this. Practical Sailor

I still think Collinite #885 is the longest lasting wax I've ever used. Yes its expensive and needs some elbow grease or a buffer to apply, but it gives great results. I'd rather do it once a year and forget it.
To answer your less expensive auto question they gave the initial on/off and shine results to the new Turtle Wax F-21 (not to be confused with their other product that didn't do well). Other waxes that made their cut: Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Paste Wax, Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax, and the Collinite #885 Fleetwax.
1976 #552
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail - Good info on the Collinite application. I'll try that this year.
1976 #552
Old 01-29-2009

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
A little misting bottle of water, a foam applicator done by hand and microfiber rags for removal are all that is needed. DO NOT let a carnuba dry totally before wiping off and do not apply in the sun.
Maine-
I'm feeling a bit slow today. Please clarify the procedure. I read above as this

Apply collinite allow to haze Mist then remove?

Thanks
2007 Hunter 49
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
Maine-
I'm feeling a bit slow today. Please clarify the procedure. I read above as this

Apply collinite allow to haze Mist then remove?

Thanks
Sorry.

Lightly mist the foam applicator (I like the round yellow ones made by Meguiars) or the hull then apply the wax. Let it haze up a little then remove with a micro fiber rag. Do small sections at a time then move on never wax an entire side ... The water is the secret!

I can do one side of a 36 footer in about 25-30 minutes..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-01-2009

gaha_1 is on a distinguished road
ploy glow

I have tried all kinds of things.I have a 1977 with a green hull.After about a month it needed waxed again. I tried ploy-glow the year befor last. It looked like new.Last year I didn't get a chance to do anything and she look great.This year I will put another coat on her.I'am sold.Easy to use
Old 02-01-2009

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
I also use Collinite. Can't remember what the # is, but I use the one step cleaner/wax in a bottle for the first coat and then use the wax that comes in a bottle for the second coat. I do it before launching the spring and it still looks good when it comes out of the water in the fall. And I'm working with the original gel coat which is 28 years old and still has a great shine.

I've read to truly protect the gel coat you should be putting 3 coats of wax on. There's no way I'm going to spend that much time waxing. So I compromise using a cleaner/wax first coat and a wax second coat.