Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
I know someone that had this happen to them.

She had just had the dripless seal system replaced, but something (a bolt??) was not done correctly. She motored for over a day before the seal blew, offshore, at night. Floorboards awash. Once she identified where the water was coming from, she was able to stem the flow to a manageable rate. It was a long night, particularly since they didn't want to tow her through the inlet at night. She often sails single-handed, but was lucky to have crew this time.

Yes, the problem may be rare, but not rare enough.
Sounds like a bad installation. My guess is they messed up using the rotor set screws, which are a one use item. If you tighten the stainless rotor down then decide to move it and make another adjustment you need to replace the set screws.

I use a 316 stainless steel split collar placed behind the stainless rotor as an added level of safety.

The split collar is sitting on top of the seal in this photo. I feel every PSS installation should have one.

These are PSS set screws. Tighten them down ONLY once. Once you do you dull the point and they should never be reused to bite the shaft again. There should also always be two set screws one on top of the other in the hole to lock the one in contact with the shaft from backing off. I have come across more than one PSS with only one set screw in each hole!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-29-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
I know someone that had this happen to them.

She had just had the dripless seal system replaced, but something (a bolt??) was not done correctly. ....the seal blew, offshore, at night..
Yeah, case in point... a dripless seal doesn't have the packing rings to minimize clearance around the shaft... and the leak profusely if the pressure is reduced or lost on the collar....

Mainesail... that locking collar is a great idea.. is it a custom piece made in your own shop?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-29-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

Mainesail... that locking collar is a great idea.. is it a custom piece made in your own shop?
I got it from McMaster Carr who else.. P/N 9633T19
McMaster Carr 316 Stainless Split collar For 1" Shaft

Of course McMaster will never let you know, on their web site, who makes the product until you get it in the mail. If you search the manufacturer you might find it for less than $33.00. It take pictures of everything cause my memory sucks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-29-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2009

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
I think you've got it right, Maine. When I saw her that day she was pretty tired and we didn't get into the details. I just remember her saying that there was a problem with a bolt, or it could have been a screw.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maine Sail—

They do...it also comes in 2" widths and is used for sealing the mast-deck opening. I've also seen it in 4" widths...but can't find a link for it ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yeah I just wish they made it in wider widths.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Maine Sail—

They do...it also comes in 2" widths and is used for sealing the mast-deck opening. I've also seen it in 4" widths...but can't find a link for it ATM.
i've been looking for some 4" as i used to have a roll. the only stuff I found in 4"= widths was close to $80.00 per roll??? I still prefer the Thera-Band as it is latex rubber and once stretched it really sucks down onto and around whatever you are wrapping and it's wide enough too..

If you find reasonalble 4" wide stuff send me a link!!..

Old 01-29-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I have a dripless seal (with a hose connecting it to stern tube, and a hose is slightly oversize and clamped down - which does not make me all that happy).

I carry a toilet wax ring for this particular emergency - presumably if the hose is still in place, I may be able to stuff it (or parts of it) in the opening, then tape or otherwise clamp down.

If the hose blows - it may be more difficult (presumably would have to remove the old hose first, which may not be fun to do.

Prop shaft is certainly one of the more dangerous places on a boat - it's a thruhull that can never be closed and is under constant mechanical strain. Oh well.
Old 01-29-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I think this is the stuff your were thinking of. 4" x 10' Self Fusing
Rubbaweld

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 01-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I do believe you've got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
I think this is the stuff your were thinking of. 4" x 10' Self Fusing
Rubbaweld

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-30-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
To add to Maine Sail's comments in post #11 above in regard to set screws:

You can use Loctite to secure the outer set screw. DO NOT under any circumstances use it on the inside set screw or it will glue the collar to the shaft and make disassembly difficult. The yard did that once on BR and it took them over 4 hours (on their nickel) to fix things.

Also, after the shaft seal is installed in the proper position I use a black permanent magic-marker to note the point where the aft end of rubber bellows joins the stern tube and the forward edge of SS seal ring is positioned on the shaft. A quick look at the shaft seal is part of my daily engine maintenance routine and with these marks I can quickly see if either the rubber bellows or the SS seal ring has moved.