SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How to store drop-boards? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50962-how-store-drop-boards.html)

FishFinder 01-29-2009 11:01 PM

How to store drop-boards?

I have been struggling with storing my drop-boards for a while, I was wondering if anyone had a clever way to store them out of the way? I've got a fairly large companionway so 4 boards, one of which is lexan and fairly heavy. Right now I drop them in a deep cockpit locker, have to climb in there to get them out ... gets old doing this several times a day.

CLucas 01-29-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFinder (Post 440534)
I have been struggling with storing my drop-boards for a while, I was wondering if anyone had a clever way to store them out of the way? I've got a fairly large companionway so 4 boards, one of which is lexan and fairly heavy. Right now I drop them in a deep cockpit locker, have to climb in there to get them out ... gets old doing this several times a day.

Mine go in the salon, underneath a settee cushion -- out of the way, not falling on anybody's toes, and not crashing around sliding below.

denby 01-29-2009 11:11 PM

I do the same as CLucas. Only takes a few seconds and easy to retrieve.

Faster 01-29-2009 11:12 PM

If they fit into your cockpit locker, (apparently they do) do you have space on the inside of the cockpit wall to make a rack (or a canvas bag) so they are hanging just below the lid?

Alternatively will they fit in a sleeve attached to the underside of the cockpit locker lid itself?

Whampoa 01-29-2009 11:12 PM

I keep mine in a canvas slide wallet if you will. It is essentially a sewn canvas pouch with two internal canvas dividers inside giving 4 pockets inside the pouch. This allows me to safely store two slides and two screened slides. Mine are varnished mahogany and the canvas pouch helps protect the finish.

Sorry I don't have a photo to share. Easy to sew and no major costs to make one.

Good luck,

Regards, John

Leither 01-29-2009 11:14 PM

I keep them at the forward end of the quarterberth along with some storage boxes which helps to keep them safely stowed. I've often wondered about something more customized, but never got round to it. Too many other tasks on the list.......

Stuart

blt2ski 01-29-2009 11:17 PM

I toss the two boards on the back rear state room cushions.

I have seen a 36' version of my 30'r, where that owner put is boards bungy'd to the side of the motor compartment, again going into the rear state room.

Marty

mgmhead 01-29-2009 11:24 PM

My boards are stored horizontally behind the salon setees and above the storage area in custom made wooden hanging brackets. They are out of site, don't interfere with storage, and are easily retrieved.

mgmhead 01-29-2009 11:27 PM

Damn, sucked in on an old forum.

Sabreman 01-29-2009 11:30 PM

Sabre installs a nice plywood holder inside the cockpit locker. The boards are stacked one upon another with the top board on the outside. The group of three boards (in my case) is set inside the holder such that the long ends are vertical. For instance, each board is something like 6"x20"x3/4". Stacked upon each other it's 6"x20"x2 1/4". They're rotated 90 degrees to vertical and dropped into a plywood holder just inside the locker that has an opening about 7"x11"x3"