SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sailrite LSZ 1 same as ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50978-sailrite-lsz-1-same.html)

alexsails 01-30-2009 11:13 AM

Sailrite LSZ 1 same as ???

Hi,

Reading thru some previous threads I learned that the Sailrite sewing machines may be the exact same as another machine, more expensive with a Sailrite label, well adjusted and great customer service.

Does anyone know what Sailrite LSZ 1 sewing machine is? What brand and model is it originaly before it get's to Sailrite?

klubko 01-30-2009 06:33 PM

Feiyue FS288 have same parts, but I think there is another type that is exactly the same as Sailrite machine. Btw. I also still researching what to buy and couple of people (long distance cruisers) told me that most of household machines would do just fine for most of the tasks if you go slow. Unless you want to sow thick layers of subrella very frequently, it might be more frugal to break few needles instead of investing into an expensive machine.
Good luck

Steekel 01-31-2009 02:37 AM

Sailrite machines

Not sure which other machines may be the same as the LSZ1. I can however attest to Sailrite's customer service and the machine's quality. I have spent several hours on the phone with them concerning the care and feeding of the machine.
Most recently they helped me set up the machine to facilitate the use of Gore Tenara thread. Not an easy task.
The machine may be more expensive, but the service is 2nd to none. Worth the the extra $ to me. :)

Valiente 01-31-2009 02:01 PM

I spoke with canvas makers at the boat show recently and they said that Sailrite's machines were worth it due to this aspect: service. They don't sell them themselves, but say that a lot of cruisers are happy with them for the odd mix of occasional use that can vary from sail repair to doing cushions, etc.

sww914 01-31-2009 05:15 PM

I'm looking over the sailrites and the feiyues and the sailrites have bigger motor, a bigger pulley to gear down the motor for more torque, and a case. I think it's probably worth twice as much money.
We've all put together chinese made stuff, it's not really easy. I'd be glad to know that it was put together by trained workers that care if it works even if it is made with mostly the same parts.

genieskip 01-31-2009 06:08 PM

I've had my sailrite machine for a couple of months now and am very happy with it and their service. I had some questions and they spent the time with me on the phone. Just finished two sette berths and getting ready to do a stack pack sail cover and a Jordan series drogue. They have pretty good kits and even though they are a bit more expensive than scrounging the internet it is convenient to have everything in one place. I did go for some off brand ultrasuade for upholstering main cabin cushions since 90 bucks a yard was a bit much.

saurav16 02-03-2009 05:50 PM

You do not need a sailrite machine if you don't want to spend the money for it. We have been using a Husqevarna Viking machine from the 70s. It works great through sunbrella. We made our own cockpit cushions and now are redoing all the fabric upholstery for the cabin cushions.