Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-01-2009

Iannis is on a distinguished road
Problem with Sail slides

On a brand new Beneteau First 27.7S, while sailing upwind (close-hauled), with a riffed main and genoa, sail slides started coming off. The elasticated "ropes" that tied them on the sails started breaking.

What could I have done wrong, so as not to repeat it. This is the first time that such a thing happens to me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Speaking with other owners of new Beneteau's with the same arrangement holding their slides, they said they encountered problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Since the boat is brand new I would guess that the hardware is not correct. Do you have a track in the mast or external track? Either way you will need to remove sail and take to a sailmaker to repair. Make sure you measure the track and get the right hardware. This should never happen sure, I have broken a few slugs but when I do I replace them all and save old ones as spares, got lots of spares I'm sure a sailmaker can help you here or you might be able to do the work yourself depending on scope.
Old 02-01-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a warantee problem to me.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 02-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is BRAND NEW...sail slides should not be breaking--something is wrong. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
New boat, popping sail slides popping off, displeased visit to dealer is what I'd do. Shouldn't happen so there must be a problem (defect) to be resolved by brokerage.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 02-01-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
[quote=Iannis;44151 What could I have done wrong,

Your first mistake was buying a Beneteau - just kidding. But it does sounds like you need a better way of attaching the sail slugs than some sort of elastic crap. Remember, elastic anything breaks down quickly in the sun - even bungee cords.
The slugs on Paloma's Hood main are held on by stainless steel hardware.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 02-01-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
ALL WRONG..THE SLIDES DIDN't COME OFF THE TRACK..they detached from the sail

It's your fault really.

The newer sails, they are making now have elastic ties bettween the slides and the sails..

IT'S MEANT TO BE LIKE THAT!!!

It's to avoid stressing the sail when you reef...your mistake was that you should have secured the main clew better, so they would not be stressing out the elastics..the clew was probably too lose and allowed the elastics to strtch too far.

Now...the system is not one of my favorite systems, but as you can see, its better to break a few elastics than to damange the sail..

learn how to reef with that sail...they wil not fix it for you.

But my best recommnedation to you...Replace the elastics, with a few dyneem lines

Uncle Alex
Old 02-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
It's to avoid stressing the sail when you reef...your mistake was that you should have secured the main clew better, so they would not be stressing out the elastics..the clew was probably too lose and allowed the elastics to strtch too far.

Uncle Alex
i would disagree with that, i would think its would be the halyard being too loose. also if its meant to lessen the strain on a reefed sail, then we have a problem we reef when the winds get to be too much, which means there is more stress on the sail in the first place. i would think you design the attachments to fail right before the sail would, and unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail.

also he said others are having the same problem, it sounds like a design flaw
Old 02-01-2009

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i would disagree with that, i would think its would be the halyard being too loose. also if its meant to lessen the strain on a reefed sail, then we have a problem we reef when the winds get to be too much, which means there is more stress on the sail in the first place. i would think you design the attachments to fail right before the sail would, and unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail.

also he said others are having the same problem, it sounds like a design flaw
"unless the wind is over 40 knots none of it should fail"

Please explain this statement.Do i have different connectors on the sail for each reef point?I do not understand NONE...Holds breath.
Confused as useall
Mark
Old 02-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
mark by none i meant the sail nor the slides should fail in pretty much anything under 40 knots. if you figure ( guess ) that they design the sails to hold up in 40 knot winds, the slides and the attachment should too.

edit none meaning nothing