Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2009

Alden44GER is on a distinguished road
winterizing watermaker

Hi again,

how do you guys winterize your watermakers? My boat is in the water, the PUR Survivor is filled with a biocide/water mixture and it's getting chilly now. (The water temperature is about 3° C. yet)

Regards, Luis
Old 02-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You probably should call the manufacturer and ask them, or look in the owner's manual and see what it says.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
SD is correct about seeking manufacturer advice. I offer the comments below as a "generic approach". I developed it because I have a desal system that's engineered from generic components and the "manufacturer - assembler" of the system was located in a warm climate and chose not to deal with the subject in the Xerox-ed owner's manual I have.

I winterize the system by first "pickeling" the membrane and then removing the pressure vessel with the membrane and biocide inside. I carefully cap the fittings to keep the biocide in the pressure vessel to keep the biocide from spilling out and then take it home -- storing it horizontally in a warm space. The key is not to let any part of the membrane dry out during the winter.

Winterizing the rest of the unit is pretty simple. The filters are removed and drained (new filters are installed on recommissioning) and the pumps and lines are winterized with non-toxic antifreeze. I make sure that on recommissioning all the anitfreeze is flushed from the system before installing the pressure vessel and membrane. This can make a mess, especially when you flush the HP pump, so you want to make preparations to contain the flushing water. To flush the system on recommissioning, use clean seawater if you can. If not, use distilled water. Don't use tap water as it may contain chlorine which will harm the membrane.

It's my understanding that the biocides in the membrane will hold up for only six months, so it's possible that the membrane might need cleaning when you recommission the system.

I've found keeping up with the desal maintenance to be too much of a hassle unless we're in a live-aboard cruising mode where we are not often at a dock and/or water is expensive. When we're just doing seasonal cruising in NE, water is free and not hard to find, so I keep the system off line. This means that I may need to replace the membrane when we go cruising again, but that's a price to pay for not having to recommission, maintain and decommission the system every summer.
Old 02-02-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
SK told me to just pump in potable antifreeze.

Call your manufacturer
Old 02-02-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
SK told me to just pump in potable antifreeze.

Call your manufacturer

Gee, I've read that membranes are pretty sensitive to chemicals????????????????
Old 02-02-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
billy
this was from the SK Watermaker technician. hope he's right!
Old 02-02-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I heard the same, use the same pink antifreeze for potable water lines. Do not do this under pressure. open the pressure valves needle valves ET all and run it through do not do this at 800psi. This is supposed to be good for a year. Biocide does NOT protect from freezing. Also if you use booze the ETOH will dissolve the o rings
Old 02-03-2009

Alden44GER is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your help ... I like the idea of removing the pressure cylinder and storing it. I was a bit concerned about winterizing it with a chemical, too.
On the other hand it sounds so nice and easy to simply flush it with potable antifreeze.
I will check the boat tomorrow and then decide.

Thanks,
Luis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.