Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-02-2009

jdwgold is on a distinguished road
Moving the traveler

Hello all,
I have a Dufour 1300 quarter ton racer. Similar to the j-24, the traveler cuts right through the cockpit. I was in the process of moving it behind the tiller when I was told that the angle from the boom end to the traveler should not be greater than 90 degrees. Are there any riggers out there, and is this true, and if so, how important is it? Thanks for any informed responses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

I am not a rigger BUT i can see were there may be some problems with the main sheet if you move it back 2 feet

On the South American J24 they moved it forward to open up the cockpit and went to mid-boom sheeting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2009

sassafrass is on a distinguished road
i believe it is so: if you take the boom as a line and the sheet as a line, they should be two angles, one slightly greater than 90, the other slightly smaller.

tom
Old 02-03-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Jd, in reality, they should, but if the angle is not that much greater there is no reall issue, but..you will lose some of the tension force , in full in main sheet.

What happens when the angle is greater, is that after you sheet in as much as possible, the sheet no longer tries to pull the boom downd, but starts pulling it backwards.

The King 40, by Summit, has the arrangment you are seeking for and they are ok with it. Its 95 degrees or so.

If you are desperate. you can do it..and the only reason is because you have a traveler. How big is the one you want to instal? Because if the traveler is big, by moving the car you can compensate for that, but yo will lose a little of the characteristics of the system. Use only Dyneema if you do that

MAke sure the gooseneck can take the pulling effect.

See this site and serach in the galleries, you can see the King 40 and the 100 degree sheet..they made the boom 2 feet longer than the sail for that

The King 40 | Summit Yachts

Alex

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-03-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2009

jdwgold is on a distinguished road
Thank you all so much for your input. I found a picture of a Dufour 1300 in Germany where they moved the traveler to the same spot I'm going to. It looks like they might have extended the boom. I'll measure the angle, and if it's not too great, ~95 degrees or so, I'll just go ahead. Otherwise, I'll look into extending the boom or buying a new one. Again, thanks to all who replied, I greatly appreciate it.