Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-03-2009

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
2 issues with outboard

Hello,

I took my Catalina 27 out for her maiden voyage this past weekend and ran into two problems with my outboard. When I lowered the motor down into the water I think I may have pushed it down too far because now I can't get it to come back up. I can get it to tilt fine, just not come straight back up on the carrier.

My other issue is with doing maintenance on the motor. How in the heck do I get the engine cover off? I have a 2001 Mercury 9.9 ML that seems like it should be rather simple to take off. I went out to inspect today and the only thing I can see is a metal clip in the front (the front being where the fuel line connects, etc.). However, I couldn't even get this clip off. I could get it to budge, but not come all the way off. I'm somewhat glad that it didn't come off for fear of losing it in the water if it broke free. That, and I'm not even sure that is what is holding the cover on.

I bought a maintenance book for my motor, but it has zero info on how to remove the cover. It starts the instructions after you have already figured out how to remove it.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAgent View Post
Hello,

I took my Catalina 27 out for her maiden voyage this past weekend and ran into two problems with my outboard. When I lowered the motor down into the water I think I may have pushed it down too far because now I can't get it to come back up. I can get it to tilt fine, just not come straight back up on the carrier.

My other issue is with doing maintenance on the motor. How in the heck do I get the engine cover off? I have a 2001 Mercury 9.9 ML that seems like it should be rather simple to take off. I went out to inspect today and the only thing I can see is a metal clip in the front (the front being where the fuel line connects, etc.). However, I couldn't even get this clip off. I could get it to budge, but not come all the way off. I'm somewhat glad that it didn't come off for fear of losing it in the water if it broke free. That, and I'm not even sure that is what is holding the cover on.

I bought a maintenance book for my motor, but it has zero info on how to remove the cover. It starts the instructions after you have already figured out how to remove it.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
I don't know about your bracket not coming back up....sorry.

Usually the motor cover is held on by a lever in the back of the motor. It tilts forward and slides off of the "clip" you are trying to remove.

Then the fun starts.........
Old 02-03-2009

jldooley is on a distinguished road
step 1.
go to your boat and look at every angle then if it looks like it is connected to your (bracket, motor top) move it eventually somehting will work like you want it to.
ok most motor brackets have a up and down lever. on your boat motor mount the lower was moved to lower. to rais teh motor you must flip this lever to raise and then push down slightly & up will raise the motor you may have to lift but it wil come up.
your not going to find answers on this web site just go to the boat and do it.
Old 02-03-2009

The carrier/bracket has a main handle that has notches to allow it to be raised or lowered into multiple positions. Are you suggesting it would have another lever that would lock it in either the up or down position once in a notch?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
The carrier/bracket has a main handle that has notches to allow it to be raised or lowered into multiple positions. Are you suggesting it would have another lever that would lock it in either the up or down position once in a notch?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
That is what he is saying.

ps Look at the engine manual. If it is the service manual it will have a picture of the motor cover and said lever.

Users manual - sometimes.

Here is a 9.9 as an example. I don't know what model you have.

Mercury Outboard Parts Catalog - Mercruiser Mariner Parts

click on cowls and then "2.get image/parts"

Last edited by therapy23; 02-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2009

Thanks for the help. This looks like my model, or similar. I might need to take a mirror with me next time so I can see behind the motor. From the diagram it looks like part #8 would be what I am searching for. Would you agree? Not sure how to adjust it, but I guess if I can find it I should be able to figure it out.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
once you see the handle with the notches, youn are halfwayy there. Move it to unlock (I would guess, back-front direction) and then try lifting the outboard up. Does it have springs assisting the lifting? if not, it is up to your muscle power only. Unless you have different type bracket (model/manufacturer name would help), that should work.

For the cover, if you absolutely fail to find the way, you might walk to the place that sale the same brand and ask somebody ...
Old 02-03-2009

If I can't get it to budge this weekend I will try to find the mnfctr name and model of the bracket. I have had it up and down several times, but I guess I pushed it down further this time to ensure it was down far enough to leave the dock. I can't get it to even budge at all.

Thanks everybody,

Chris
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
Thanks for the help. This looks like my model, or similar. I might need to take a mirror with me next time so I can see behind the motor. From the diagram it looks like part #8 would be what I am searching for. Would you agree? Not sure how to adjust it, but I guess if I can find it I should be able to figure it out.

Chris
or #21.

I am thinking they sort of mesh as the lock.
Old 02-04-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Hey I know this sounds pretty dumb but . . . .

I have a 15 hp Mercury so it may not be the same but on mine the throttle grip turns one way to put it in forward gear and the other way to put it in reverse. If the motor is in gear, you can't lift it. Are you sure your motor is in neutral?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke