My Tanzer 22
Defiantly not trying to copy Thumbs thread but thought I could share the progress of my boat and get some suggestions and input.
Here she is the first day I got her '74 Tanzer 22:
There was a funny smell in there......but hey look at all this free stuff in here!
Well as you can see from the top picture it was very dirty so after many cleaning jobs I got her to look alot better. The first project was to clean and restore the inside wood:
The interior wood was a mix of teak pieces and other various woods so I decided to stain all of the wood so that everything matches.
After getting the interior wood coated with 3-4 coats of varnish it looked so much better. Also the wooden rudder came out amazing! I truly understand why they call it bright work after seeing what some TLC and Cetol make hardwoods look like.
Next I wanted to tile the cabin walls, sink counter, and table:
You can see all of the wood reinstalled and its defiantly coming together. Ive also removed and refinished the the port lights replacing the old with thicker Lexan. I dont know what I did with those pictures.....
This weeks project I needed to make a door. I had a screened frame and also peices from the original door so I decided to marry them together and also use the very worn side holders for the time being. Ive read on here before that a lock will keep an honest sailor out but I someone really want to get in they will get in. It will keep it dry down below and that's what counts!!
I have the last coat drying on the door tonight and ill start my 4 coats for the slide rails tomorrow.
Man, I am a sucker for these fix-up threads! Have at it.
How is the boat mechanically? Sails, rigging, etc. Is it seaworthy? I am approaching the project from the outside in (mainly to make it sea worthy and pretty first), you from the inside out.
Looks good. Looks like you have good weather there. Have you sailed her?
Is tiling something you do professionally??
I'm cool with the countertop surfaces but don't know I'd apply it to the bulkheads; seems like a moisture trap.
I have a cousin that helped with the tile, we will see about the moisture in the future. If it becomes a problem Ill replace the bulkhead with new wood.
The sails are in great shape, the rigging will prob last me a season or two. I have to replace all of the sheets and working on that. The boat bottom needs to and will be repainted, two coats of non ablative red. The boat was abandoned and purchased from a marina to cover past due fees, so I know that she floats. The hull looks to be in good shape with no bubbles or cracks. As of right now Top top could use some paint as well but I think ill get her in the water first.
I want to get her all set up for mooring so that I can learn and enjoy her for a year or two without having to haul her out. So to accomplish this goal I need to get the bottom painted (next project), buy new sheets, add a thru hull for my depth finder, get a VHF radio, rewire the boat, add all new LED lights interior and out, replace my lighted compass, and get a new/used outboard. Not to mention have a marina help me get the keel on and get her in the water.
Im a little torn on weather to get the bare necessity to get her in the water or to do everything that needs to be done first. Seems it would be tough to work on her while at a mooring. I already have my GPS unit ill just need to buy the blue water charts afterwards.
She's a good boat.
I learned on the keel version!!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012