Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-05-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Note: LED navigation lights come in two different flavors and should be matched to the size of your boat. Less than 25 feet have one requirment and others an another.. Also, do a check to make sure they have been "endorsed" - or CG approved. There are quite a few products out for LED nav lights that kind of have mis-leading descriptions unless you read the fine print.

Other note:

If you are looking to replace standard bulbs with LED. Just go with white. The lens if a tri-color - will provide the color and you'll save about 20%. On top of that you'll get more power savings (LED are a power saver but white is least costly over the color LEDs power consumption by about 10%)... and you'll probably get a better resulting color.

For my Aqua Signal Tri-color I am using just white DR LED replacement LED bulbs which saved me about 40$ buying just the white ones (over the colored) and the perceived look is just fine...

BTW Dr LED has been active with the local boatshows and you can save some $$ when ordering just mentioning a boat show you went to...

My bow light kept getting dunked and water got into it, causing it to fail. I'm looking to replace the whole thing anyway, ideally with something that can withstand getting dunked repeatedly. Thanks for the useful information.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009

janders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you are looking to replace standard bulbs with LED. Just go with white. The lens if a tri-color - will provide the color and you'll save about 20%. On top of that you'll get more power savings (LED are a power saver but white is least costly over the color LEDs power consumption by about 10%)... and you'll probably get a better resulting color.

For my Aqua Signal Tri-color I am using just white DR LED replacement LED bulbs which saved me about 40$ buying just the white ones (over the colored) and the perceived look is just fine...

BTW Dr LED has been active with the local boatshows and you can save some $$ when ordering just mentioning a boat show you went to...
I'm reading lots of reports of people who did this very thing and ended up with pink and blue nav lights. All the recommendations I ran across while researching the same thing were pretty adamant about using red LED's port and green LED's starboard. YMMV.

We've got a new OrcaGreen anchor/tri-color LED showing up in the next week or so. Best part about those is that you can use one set of wires (+/-) to run both lights. Sweet.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 02-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jody—

Be aware that the only Dr. LED replacement bulb that is currently USCG certified is their Aqua Signal 40 Anchor light replacement bulb.
Quote:
Note: LED navigation lights come in two different flavors and should be matched to the size of your boat. Less than 25 feet have one requirment and others an another.. Also, do a check to make sure they have been "endorsed" - or CG approved. There are quite a few products out for LED nav lights that kind of have mis-leading descriptions unless you read the fine print.

Other note:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

I did some quick checking on the light spectrum of white LEDs. While I'm posting an early "find" and not necessarily the spectrum of the white LEDs that are for sale for Marine use, you can see from this chart that it would be pretty easy to imagine a replacement white LED that would not produce green light and would appear blue instead, when run through your existing green filter.

Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm.
Red light has a wavelength of about 650 nm.

Jut because it looks white, doesn't mean there has to be a lot of green light being emitted.

Same goes for red filters making the light look pink instead. There's very little red being produced in the above chart.

Last edited by Bene505; 02-06-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added more details
Old 02-06-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

By comparison, an incandescent bulb has tons of green and red to work with, so using red or green filters would work well (as we know).

Old 02-06-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

All this has me thinking that maybe I ought to buy separate bow lights, using LEDs made specifically for Red and Green, individually. (Manufacturers make LEDs with certain colors using certain chemicals inside the LED.) It seems like the best way to get the brightness that I want. It would take a custom bracket.
Old 02-06-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
never mind, read the last post - looks like using "clear" LED lights with a filtering lense may not be a good idea. I'll wait and see how your project goes, then - hopefully you'll share your results with us.
Old 02-06-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Anybody know of good options for installing LED nav lights in the below-deck-line flush-mount positions? I.e. replacing these:

I've noticed most nav LEDs are way too big, so maybe I'm outta luck and should go with the sort of deck mount that you guys are talking about?
Old 02-06-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Janders - I'm interested in hearing about your OrcaGreen experiences... I'm thinking about buying the unit too. Right now we just have deck level bow/stern lights and a 2-wire anchor light at the masthead. The fact that you don't have to run a third wire up the mast for the OrcaGreen units looks intriguing...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Bene - could you post links for the single-color lights you found?
Adam,

Didn't forget about your question. I looked on Google using the 3 search words: "LED navigation lights" (without the quotes). This led (no pun indended!) to some good hits. I also foraged around the Aqua Marine website. They have a series 31 (good to 1nm) and a series 32 (good to 2nm). The series 32 is at the link that Sailingdog posted.

I also googled for even brighter lights by googling: "LED navigation lights -2nm" (with no quotes). I didn't find any red or green high intensity lights that way, at least not in the time I devoted to it. I did find a 3nm white light though, I think from OrcaGreen, IIRC.

Regards