Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2009

Location: Quilcene, Washington. The west side ot the Hood Canal, at the foot hills of the eastern Olympic Mts.
ptsailor is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Boat stands

I'm having a hard time finding used boat stands. Is there a proper way to make stands out of wood? For sailboat with full keel, 8' beam, 26' long, 4' draft and approx. 6400 lbs. Using a friends dolly to get boat home. Boat would be under cover and only for 6 months. ( Famous last words.) Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what boat you have as someone may have made a two-part cradle for it already. When asking a question, the more information you can give, the better the answers you'll generally get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
There are a set of four for sale here locally for 200.00, but I think you are far away.
Old 02-04-2009

Location: Quilcene, Washington. The west side ot the Hood Canal, at the foot hills of the eastern Olympic Mts.
AllThumbs, thanks. What is locally? I'm in Port Townsend, Wa.
Old 02-04-2009

Sailingdog, Thanks. Didn't think about listing the boat, it's not one found on the West Coast. The boat is a McVay Micmac. My friend is hauling his boat in March other wise I could use his dolley. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
You might consider a custom cradle for peace of mind, depending on your budget. any local welder could fab one up for you in short order if he has the steel on hand. its not rocket science.
Old 02-04-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsailor View Post
AllThumbs, thanks. What is locally? I'm in Port Townsend, Wa.
Niagara falls, Ontario, Canada

4 Boat Sands $50.00 ea. - Toronto Boats For Sale - Kijiji Toronto
Old 02-04-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I would suggest that you check around at local boating clubs and marinas to see if anyone is selling a cradle that could be used for your boat. Try to get one that comes can be disassembled rather then as a welded single unit (much easier to move and store). We bought a used (one piece) cradle for our 27' boat for about $800 - it is a PITA to move without the boat in it.
A cradle will have 4 poppits (or pads) that hold the boat upright while the main weight of the boat is supported through the keel. The same concept applies with jack stands (or boat stands) - eg., weight born by the keel. For a boat your size I would suggest about six jack stands to keep it level (5 if one is used under the bow - special fitting for this).
Any marina that stores boats has a large supply of jack stands. They are not usually looking to sell them as they may be able to use them for a customer sometime soon. Some individuals own jack stands but are not likely to sell them unless they are selling their boat. Cradles are not preferred by most marina yards and therefore owned by individuals.
You could make a cradle out of heavy construction lumber (8x8, 4x4, 2x12 etc) but by the time you are done you could have bought a used cradle that will work.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-04-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
email the broker and ask for pics of the cradle, to give yourself an idea of what you have to do:
30' Doral Prestancia
I would be hesitant to uses stands with a micmac, because of the keel shape. Ignore the title of the link, it does link to a Micmac.

Or take a look at this one, and you can see what i mean about keel support:
Brimley Boat Sales - Scarborough, Ontario - Boat and Yacht Brokers - Welcome

Last edited by bljones; 02-04-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, I see your point... i'd recommend getting a cradle built as well. The only problem is how do you get the boat in and out of the cradle. He's bringing the boat home on a dolly...but without a travellift... getting the boat off the dolly and onto the cradle might be a neat trick.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.