Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Under Deck Auto Pilots and Tiller Steering

When looking at boats to buy:

I want a significant under deck autohelm. For this, is it best to stay away from tiller steering. Is the typical instillation of such a system reliable and is it pretty straight forward and non-invasive to the boat.

For instance: I have a 36' Capy George in mind, with tiller steering. Anyone know if it would readily take a good sized under deck autohelm system?

Are there other boats better suited for this?

I would be greatfull for any expertise with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2009

39512 is on a distinguished road
I don't think you want a below deck auto pilot with a tiller. If it should malfunction, the thought of the tiller swinging back and forth across the cockpit with 800 lbs of force is not safe. At least above deck you've got a chance to disconnect the ram if all else fails.
Old 02-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most tiller equipped boat can NOT take a below decks autopilot without some modification. Many tiller equipped boats will not have a steering quadrant below decks, since that isn't needed in most cases. If you want a below-deck autopilot, get a wheel equipped boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
When looking at boats to buy:

I want a significant under deck autohelm. For this, is it best to stay away from tiller steering. Is the typical instillation of such a system reliable and is it pretty straight forward and non-invasive to the boat.

For instance: I have a 36' Capy George in mind, with tiller steering. Anyone know if it would readily take a good sized under deck autohelm system?

Are there other boats better suited for this?

I would be greatfull for any expertise with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can buy tiller arms designed specifically to adapt tiller steered boats to accept an underdeck autopilot.
Edson Marine Catalog

This is a perfectly acceptable solution and not only does not present any danger but actually adds safety by providing an "emergency tiller" completely separate from the existing tiller connection.

As to the Cape George..NO you will not be able to use an underdeck pilot since it is not only tiller steered but has an externally hung pintle/gudgeon type rudder. Exactly what did you think the underdeck pilot would connect to? Sorry...but tiller pilot is all you can use on this boat.
Old 02-06-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
From what I've heard and read, tiller autopilot arrangements are not reliable for bluewater mile after mile. Is that a misconception on my part. Is there a system that would mount well on the Cape George that would have the stamina to steer the boat in heavy conditions, mile after mile?
Old 02-06-2009

39512 is on a distinguished road
Cam, I don't follow the added safety part. Am I missing something?
Old 02-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The main problem with tiller pilots is that the control electronics on most is exposed to the weather, in that they're in the tiller pilot. A good solution to helping prevent problems with them is to make a splash sleeve to put over the tiller pilot. Some of the heavier duty tiller pilots use a separate control head and are less susceptible to such problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
From what I've heard and read, tiller autopilot arrangements are not reliable for bluewater mile after mile. Is that a misconception on my part. Is there a system that would mount well on the Cape George that would have the stamina to steer the boat in heavy conditions, mile after mile?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Winder...I agree that tiller pilots are not as reliable. On the other hand they are simple and cheap comparatively. Carry several. A better solution might be a wind vane for ocean cruising and a tiller pilot for inshore work.

39512...added safety comes from having the ability to still steer the boat if the tiller itself breaks or if the tiller attachment to the rudder post breaks. With a separate tiller arm attached to the rudder post you have the ability to steer via the autopilot even when you can't hand steer.

Last edited by camaraderie; 02-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Have you considered a wind vane steering system for this boat? Many have sailed across a lot of 'blue' water with these alone. I'm not sure that many of these would be compatible with a transom mounted rudder anyway.

With a transom/stern mounted rudder there is no way to mount control lines to it without putting further holes in the transom. Extra holes offer more ways for water to come aboard.

The tyranny of the tiller.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.