Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2009
1968 Soverel 33-1

Sinuous is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sinuous
Suggestions for DIY maintenance/repair books?

We're starting our renovation afloat, and we have what I think is an excellent printed resource: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, by Nigel Calder. Expensive but worth it.

I'm reasonably handy, and this one's full of good info. But I'm a big fan of documentation and references in general; can anyone suggest other good books on the subject, preferably from personal experience?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
I have found Don Casey's Sailboat Maintenance Manual and excellence resource. I have used the hull & deck repair section a fair bit.

Ilenart
Old 02-06-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'd second the purchase of Casey's Complete Illustrated sailboat Maintenance Manual. You may acquire other resources, such as the Gougeon Brother's pamphlets on the use of epoxy, but Casey will give you the best overview of most of what you need. I'd wager that there's enough within to start anyone on doing they're own maintenance program. Well written for the do-it yourselfer.
Old 02-14-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
repair & restore

While not a book, the Plastic Classic forum is exclusively concerned with this subject. The Plastic Classic Forum :: Index
There is a wealth of information here for restoring and rebuilding fibreglass boats of all types and it's a very hands on site
mitiempo
Old 02-14-2009

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Caseys books are my bible the one mentioned above and also the this old boat by casey.

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Old 02-14-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
While I use the calder book and others, I find invaluable the owners manual of each component. Most, but not all, manufacturers have pretty good detailed service and repair manuals for their gear. I needed to adjust the hz on my genset. Only the Westerbeake manual could tell me the specific way to adjust THAT genset. Granted, I learned about the need for proper hz from Calder, but didn't learn HOW to get it right.
Most manufacturers, but not all, post their manuals on-line. There are various sources out there for discontinued stuff too, you have to dig for it.
Once you find it, print it out. You may need the info when internet access isn't available, or the manufacturer might disapear for some reason. There are also third party manuals for some stuff like outboard motors.

make sure you have all your manuals on hand.
Old 02-15-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I'd second the purchase of Casey's Complete Illustrated sailboat Maintenance Manual. You may acquire other resources, such as the Gougeon Brother's pamphlets on the use of epoxy, but Casey will give you the best overview of most of what you need. I'd wager that there's enough within to start anyone on doing they're own maintenance program. Well written for the do-it yourselfer.
My copy finally arrived..and I've been reading it like a novel.

Sway - You didn't warn me though, that this would cause me to want to do MORE projects than even those planned.

I'll 3rd this book recommendation!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim